What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#8895 by rlmorton
Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:05 pm
I would really like to be able to have a macro that could translate english to spanish and provide field sets with both english and spanish text.

rick morton
rlmorton & associates
#8898 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 pm
Hello Rick,

Despite I am sure that this is not a simple job, I agree with you and would love to see also for other languages like my portuguese.

Before that happens, would be necessary a whole redesign on all our vectorial .CHR character sets to compatibilize it with the International Code Pages. Until today the "All Caps" feature is not useful, because of ASCII extended characters which don't coincide with the 'unaccented' english language.

I'm with you for this achievement and hope to help in any way at the limit.

Thanks,
Miguel
#8900 by joshhuggins
Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:32 pm
Wow that would be really a powerful tool, but man it would have to be just right. Could end up with some dangerous situations quickly, but how cool would it be to translate a set of plans in any language on the fly? Maybe someday, but I don't see that happening for a long time.
#9894 by Mark Wilhelm
Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:05 pm
We have two major projects underway, and as it turns out the framers for both of them are Brazilian. Most of them have very little English, spoken or written. They are terrific workers, and great people. But communication and especially their ability to make sense of notes on the drawings are a real problem. As these projects are very complex architecturally, this is particularly difficult for me. We, and our engineering consultants, have often expressed our frustration that we can't simply "push the Portuguese button" to translate our text. So it sure would help my shop if Datacad had some kind of link to translation programs.
#9904 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:25 am
Hello Mark,

Perhaps the fastest way to overcome this language barrier should be to create a training program, specific for the particularities of your project, for preparation of your frame workers.

On long term basis, BTW, there must be much more effort over it. One of the main difficulties are the terminology used by each local job. In America you employ materials and construction techniques that are far from the common use in tropical countries like Brazil, where the wheather conditions are too soft comparing with yours.
At New England you face the snow as a regular companion, while here there is snow only in some sorted years and in one or two places, at high mountains, with no people residing. Temperatures (and only at southern Brazil) goes rarely below O°C (32°F) .
While architectural shapes at there are not so different then ours, the building materials on regular use are way far from each other.

Thanks,
Miguel