What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#9055 by mr.peeps
Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:49 pm
Many of these are found in SketchUp:

Highlight lines when something you are drawing aligns with another point, end, etc.

Divide tool that works like SU.

Select tool like in SU, where left or right determines if box is inclusive or crossing.

Floating tool bars instead of the archaic, and I do mean archaic, menu bar at the left. Each user has a different waay of doing things. THere are some tools that I use all the time that others don't at all. Tool bars like in PowerCad would be awsome.

Make the mouse wheel like every other program regarding zoom. Datacad is backward.
#9057 by joshhuggins
Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:07 pm
Some of these things we can do now.

- The highlighting of points and ends is supposed to be a feature of v.12

- Don't know about the divide tool, sorry.

- This has been brough up many times, and was decided for most, it's just as quick to tap F1 for crossing.

- You can undock all of the menus and toolbars. You can customize the toolbars buttons also, but customizing toolbar buttons could be done a lot better by the program. See the View menu for toolbar options.

- Add or revise the line below in the dcadwin.ini file [General] section to read:
Reverse Scroll Wheel Zoom=True
#9072 by Dick Eades
Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:44 pm
peeps, I agree about the SketchUp system. It seems so much more intelligent, especially the dynamic inferences. However, so much of SketchUp's functionality is tied up in the right-click menu that would not be possible in DataCAD due to it's longstanding use of the right-click as exit.

josh, the ReverseScrollWheelZoom change didn't work on my box. I looked it up in the forum and tried it, no go.

btw, fancy finding you on the TiVo Community forum. I'm there occasionally as Redthumb. Good luck with the TiVo. You'll love it. I do. I hope you can find a true TiVo and not a non-hackable D* DVR.
#9073 by joshhuggins
Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:02 pm
(Off Topic) Yeah now that I orderd the DVR80 from Valued Electronics, I found the post about Direct TV and Microsoft teaming up, and sounds like the R15 might end up with the HMO I was looking for. Oh well, I'll keep these units untill I can see the R15's in action. I can't wait to bust those boxes all to pieces, and start tweaking them out! I'll keep an eye out for ya there Redthumb. Great name for that forum :mrgreen: Small world after all I guess.

As for the reverseing the scroll wheel, did you close Datacad before changing/adding that line, and save it?
#9078 by Greg Blandin
Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:28 pm
joshhuggins wrote:- This has been brough up many times, and was decided for most, it's just as quick to tap F1 for crossing.

I happen to disagree with this comment. My hand it typically located at the base position on the keyboard since I use Alt-Letter keys quite extensivily. For me to use the F1 key for crossing is a nusiance. To be able to click and drag one way or another is quicker and easier.

I think having the crossing option built into the area command is a VERY GOOD suggestion!
#9083 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:48 pm
Hello Greg,

I happen to disagree with you on this -- having to remember "which way" to draw the box would be a major pain for me.

Two more points: I only use Crossing about 1 out of 5 times that I use Area (or Fence), so I only have to use the F1 key a few times -- if DataCAD used the ACAD method that you are advocating, I would have to remember which way to draw the box every time! Secondly, the F1 crossing also applies to Fence -- how would you handle it with Fence?

I use the F1, F2, F3, F4, F6, F8, and F10 buttons all the time, in addition to using many Alt shortcuts, and I use the number pad all the time,too -- so moving my left hand to various parts of the keyboard is second nature! :o

So many of the tools in DataCAD depend on the consistency of the function keys, in order to let you mouse -- or use the keyboard and the mouse at the same time. It would be quite "against the grain" of this basic philosophy of DataCAD, and I would be so incredibly surprised, amazed, baffled, shocked, stunned, astonished, dumbfounded, agape, thunderstruck -- if Dave G. ever implimented this change! :shock:

Unless, there was a way to do it as an option... :P
#9088 by Greg Blandin
Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:02 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello Greg,

I happen to disagree with you on this -- having to remember "which way" to draw the box would be a major pain for me.

Two more points: I only use Crossing about 1 out of 5 times that I use Area (or Fence), so I only have to use the F1 key a few times -- if DataCAD used the ACAD method that you are advocating, I would have to remember which way to draw the box every time! Secondly, the F1 crossing also applies to Fence -- how would you handle it with Fence?

I use the F1, F2, F3, F4, F6, F8, and F10 buttons all the time, in addition to using many Alt shortcuts, and I use the number pad all the time,too -- so moving my left hand to various parts of the keyboard is second nature! :o

So many of the tools in DataCAD depend on the consistency of the function keys, in order to let you mouse -- or use the keyboard and the mouse at the same time. It would be quite "against the grain" of this basic philosophy of DataCAD, and I would be so incredibly surprised, amazed, baffled, shocked, stunned, astonished, dumbfounded, agape, thunderstruck -- if Dave G. ever implimented this change! :shock:

Unless, there was a way to do it as an option... :P

At this time (since it's been about 4 years since I used AutoCAD) I don't remember how AutoCAD attributed to the situation you mentioned. I know it wasn't bad though.

Funny you should mention using the F Keys and are used to it. Using the crossing is something you'd have to get used to also and not think about it. Works both ways, I know. I personally rarely use the F keys as they are too much out of the way. I'd rather move my mouse over and select something I can Alt Key to and then move out of. That's me.

The function keys just happen to be another way you can do something in DataCAD but it doesn't seem to me that DataCAD revolves around them. So there is the possiblitiy to put that "Option" in.

Eh....to each their own. It's not a bad suggestion.
#9090 by Heinrich
Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:52 pm
joshhuggins wrote: Add or revise the line below in the dcadwin.ini file [General] section to read:

Man, I wish I had found this 11 months ago.
After 7 yrs of ACAD it took me awhile to get used to the zooming. Now I have a decision to make. :evil:

-Redd
#9093 by Greg Blandin
Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:25 pm
Heinrich wrote:
joshhuggins wrote: Add or revise the line below in the dcadwin.ini file [General] section to read:

Man, I wish I had found this 11 months ago.
After 7 yrs of ACAD it took me awhile to get used to the zooming. Now I have a decision to make. :evil:

-Redd

I had asked about this when I first started on DataCAD. I came from Softplan that used it the other way around. I switched it and found out that I liked it the way DataCAD had because I got used to it that way. I switched it back needless to say.
#9105 by Arthur Emmanuel
Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:37 pm
Hi mr. peeps,

The advantage that I see of the DataCAD on the SketchUp is that the not necessary DataCAD to create groups the all moment, is more automatic. Already the SketchUp, we are imprisoned to create groups, of the the opposite, goes to have many distortions in the models.
#57510 by Artsykidd
Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:06 pm
I tried the Reverse_Scroll_Wheel_Zoom=True at least four different ways to no avail. My office uses DataCAD14 - any new advice on the subject of reversing the scroll well zoom?

Pulling my hair out trying to figure out how DataCAD works in general as I am trained in the AutoCAD ways...