What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#9378 by MtnArch
Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:12 am
It would be really sweet if you could open up two files that have the same file name (ie. "Floor Plan") but located in different directories (ie. "Log Cabin" and "Moms House").
#9380 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:30 am
Yeah, it reall should look at the whole path and not just the filename. I usually have to cahnge the name by adding an X or something, but then then xrefs can gett boogered up and I sometimes forget to change the name back at the end of the day. This should be on the to-do list. JOGO.
#9386 by Greg Blandin
Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:12 pm
While I agree that we should be able to open 2 files with the same name and it read the path as well a work around we've done is...

When naming files we include an abbreviation of the job name.

For instance

Job Name: Commerical Job

A1-1 CJ-SITE PLAN
A2-1 CJ-FLOOR PLAN
REF-CJ-FLOOR PLAN
REF-CJ-ELEVATION

Works pretty good.
#9387 by Leigh
Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:31 pm
It seems to me that you are missing the first thing that we learned. EVERY PROJECT (file) SHOULD HAVE IT'S OWN NAME.
#9390 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:12 pm
A lot of the time we pull up previous versions of the same plan when the boss gets a wild hair with changes to the plan. Also a lot of people keep things seperate via folder names, and use several different base drawing files to allow multiple users to work on the same file. If a firm has good file management using the folder method, it's not usually an issue, but if not... yuk!
#9391 by kapone085
Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:03 pm
we use #'s here. It seems to work ok. just a suggestion.
#9393 by boofredlay
Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:54 pm
I agree with the suggestion.

In AutoCad I would always be able to open an old file to pull or reference something.
I have actually messed up a couple of new projects in DataCAD because I did not know this was a problem... I know now.
#9403 by Steve Scott
Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:40 pm
This wish has been at the very top of the wishlist since day one of
the "multiple file open" feature.

It seems to me that you are missing the first thing that we learned. EVERY PROJECT (file) SHOULD HAVE IT'S OWN NAME.

This isn't really realistic in our work. Plans are re-used all the time and
duplicate names are necessary. File naming conventions were created
prior to the multiple file feature as well. This wish would be very handy.

Imagine not being able to have lunch with two of your friends at the same
time because the restaurant doesn't allow two people at the same table
that share the same first name.
#9411 by boofredlay
Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:39 am
Steve Scott wrote:This isn't really realistic in our work. Plans are re-used all the time and
duplicate names are necessary. File naming conventions were created
prior to the multiple file feature as well. This wish would be very handy.

Imagine not being able to have lunch with two of your friends at the same
time because the restaurant doesn't allow two people at the same table
that share the same first name.

AMEN :!:
#9418 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:43 pm
MtnArch wrote:It would be really sweet if you could open up two files that have the same file name (ie. "Floor Plan") but located in different directories (ie. "Log Cabin" and "Moms House").

This is a good improvent, Alan.

The file should be identified by its full path, as long as it is already done with LAN drawings monitoring.

Thanks,
Miguel