What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#10117 by Martell
Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:43 am
Three wishes:
1) A Mask window like that:
With save and load masks.

2) Change the Identify menue:
Because I use often identify and want to be only one layer on or off.
So I must identify and switch to the layermanger and switch off the layer. Maybe it is also possible to become a multiselection identifyer. Select more than one element from different layers and switch the selected layers on or off.

3) A little preview of the layer elements:

Martell
#10118 by Paul Nida
Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:27 am
I like your third suggestion, that could be very usefull. As for your second item, I use click "L" for the Layer menu F4, active only and pick the entity. Or use F1 for On/Off and select the entities on the layers I want to turn off. The first one I could take or leave, but it would need to be an option and not something you have to use.
#10119 by Martell
Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:38 am
Well, you are right with "L" and click on the element. :shock:
I never use this so. I am not to old to learn :wink:
The mask is with the window much faster because so you had to click first on element, than click right, than color, than right, than.....
Also you can see quickly which mask is on. With the old method it is more clicking and jumping. Often I use a special mask option, so if you have save and load, you can select much quicker.
However, my opinion.

Martell
#10121 by Dick Eades
Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:01 am
I think all these ideas would be good enhancements to the program. The present Mask function does seem awkward when you want to switch from one mask criteria to another, first turning off Color then turning it back on to select the new colors and switch off the old ones. In fact, even to enter the Mask function, if it is already active, one has to first turn it off and then turn it back on in order to switch the selection criteria.
#10122 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:09 pm
Martell wrote:Because I use often identify and want to be only one layer on or off. So I must identify and switch to the layermanger and switch off the layer. Maybe it is also possible to become a multiselection identifyer. Select more than one element from different layers and switch the selected layers on or off.

We can do this now easily. Go to Layer, On/Off or Active Only, then just click on a entity that is on the layer you want effect. When using on/off this will do the multi selection you want too.

As for your first wish, Being able to save Mask sets would be cool. Especially for those of us who you base drawings well with office layer standards.

[edit:] As for using the layer manager, this goes back to being able to keep the layer manager open while working, then we could hit the layer on/off or the active only button, and then click on the entity in the drawing window to pick our layers. And now I see in the other post I just repeated info. Sorry :oops:
#10140 by Paul Nida
Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:22 pm
Martell wrote:Well, you are right with "L" and click on the element. :shock:
I never use this so. I am not to old to learn :wink:
The mask is with the window much faster because so you had to click first on element, than click right, than color, than right, than.....
Also you can see quickly which mask is on. With the old method it is more clicking and jumping. Often I use a special mask option, so if you have save and load, you can select much quicker.
However, my opinion.

Martell

Hopefully, none of us are too old to learn. And, please understand, I am not opposed to your mask idea. I am just not sure how much I would use it and therefore I would like it as an option. Like having both the Layer Menu and the Layer Manager. Also many times they will add a new option that you don't think you will ever use but after you get used to it, you can't see how you survived without it. Your Mask "Manager" dialog may very well turn out this way.
#10143 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:23 pm
Martell wrote:Three wishes:
1) A Mask window like that, with save and load masks.

Good improvement Martell. Got my vote for this. Any improvement on the management of settings are very welcome.

Thanks,
Miguel