What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#10458 by Greg Blandin
Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:35 pm
Not entirely true...

With the manager you can change scale, angle and get a visual (though it's not accurate to me) of what the hatch should look like.

The pattern is just to change the pattern.

If we were to follow your advice, we should get rid of the hatch scale menu and angle menu as well.
Last edited by Greg Blandin on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#10459 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:35 pm
The pattern button is there for two reasons. First is for those who don't like change ;), second toolbar & alias codes rely on a way to pick patterns. Unless there is a undocumented way to call hatch patterns, it will stay for sure.

I would really like to see my hatch manager enhancement wish come become reality. Would take really cut out some of the mess in using SBF's and hatch.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#10460 by Paul Nida
Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:21 pm
I may be old, but I am not opposed to change. However I am opposed to change for change sake. If you have a reason to lose the pattern button, then tell us what it is. If I think it is a good suggestion, I will be for it. Frankly I use the pattern button much more often than I use the manage btton. I don't always want to manage anything, I just want to change the pattern. If you just want to use the manage button and not use the pattern button, by all means do so. But why do you want to limit someone else's options? Like I said, if you have a good reason to eliminate the pattern button, like freeing the button up for something else, then tell us what it is. Don't just say you think we need to get rid of something just because you don't use it. Other people may use it.
#10461 by Sinha
Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:24 pm
Man Josh!! Why do you tease us with these cool stuff man??!! Pretty much exactly what I mean...blend those two..."Manage Pattern"
#10462 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:41 pm
Hello Joshua,

Your 'cool stuff' is great. Lacks one thing, btw, to become a 'complete stuff'.

It should allow the creation of 'NEW' hatch patterns. A "Hatch Editor" would be a great improvement on this area, like the "line editor" that already does it for user defined lines.

Think about it, and put it into the same 'cool' sight.

Thanks,
Miguel
#10463 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:50 pm
Sorry to hit a button there Paul, I was just teaseing a bit (hint the wink).

As for the manage vs. pattern disscussion, I don't use the manage button or the pattern button now. I have a toolbar that sets the color, spacing, and pattern using the menus, because that is faster. I know that's not for everyone, but works for me. The manage dialog, as it is now does not offer anything better than the menus now other than being able to see what patterns are not in the drawing yet, which patterns are in the drawing, and the ones you do not have externaly. So for the discussion as it is now, it's is just a users prefs. on how people like to set scales and angles. Which is why I listed the two reasons why the pattern button will stay around. Now that we can set the default scale for hatch patterns in the pattern itself, it makes just selecting the pattern that much more simple.

This is why I came up with my wish for that dialog box. To give the manage dialog box something that is worth using, that makes it more powerful than the seperate menus. Give us a compiled SFB w/ hatch. See the pattern with the border on, be able to change that border color to a different color say for a wider pen, like is possible with the SBF's patterns. Gives us unlimited SBF patterns, not just the base 6. Or bitmaps with hatch patterns. I don't have time now, but how about getting gradient fills on that dialog box? That's enough for now.

(Edit: And add Miguel's pattern creator in there. But I think with external options already avalible, this is probably low on the Datacad team's list, but I with Miguel, I'd like to see it in the program too.)
#10471 by Eddie
Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:41 pm
You know josh, if you would put some hatch on a drawing you might get somthing done for a change! :lol:
#10472 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:36 pm
Eddie made a 2nd post! I least I don't make up fake elevations with other people in my avatarImage
Last edited by joshhuggins on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#10473 by Paul Nida
Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:47 pm
Josh, you didn't hit any of my buttons. I just wanted to point out that not everyone works the same way, as you already know. Just because one person doesn't use a particular part of the program doesn't mean no one else is. I also think that if you are proposing to get rid of a button that others are using, you should give a reason and possibly a suggestion for a better use. I don't have to say that to you, because you are always coming up with good ideas. Also, please understand that I am not complaining about Sinha's original post on this topic either. It obviously has stimulated discussion, I would just prefer that everyone remember that not everyone works the same way. And what is good for you may not be good for someone else. So if you are going to make suggestions like this, I think you should give a reason and a maybe an alternative use of the button you are proposing to get rid of.

In this case I think it is a little like having the Layer Manager and the Layer menu. They do similar things but they are not interchangeble. And I don't believe that the hatch manager and the pattern button are interchangeble either.
#10483 by Sinha
Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:45 pm
Paul Nida wrote:Josh, you didn't hit any of my buttons. I just wanted to point out that not everyone works the same way, as you already know. Just because one person doesn't use a particular part of the program doesn't mean no one else is. I also think that if you are proposing to get rid of a button that others are using, you should give a reason and possibly a suggestion for a better use.

Hi Paul,
I am kinda pointing not to remove that button...but to blend both into one...
See for eg.
On D11 select the "linetype" button....these are lines that are currently in the dwg, but if I have to add another, the "manage" and "createline" is already found there....I won't have to exit and go elsewhere to load a line....

All I am sayin' is do the same with "Hatch"....loading and selecting in the same....
Like it has made easy to load and select lines...it will do also to the hatch

An Easier load and select....