What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#12857 by linethrower
Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:00 am
Having seen how the Orbit tool in SketchUp works and how easy it is to move about a model has helped identify part of my frustration with learning modeling in DataCAD. I have also recently seen that other programs have similar dynamic movement. This ability is a key component to ease the development of models.
I do not recall any mention of this in the upcoming version of DataCAD nor do I recall seeing a whole lot of grumbling in regards to this in the past. But I am just now considering learning the modeling side to CAD and perhaps I have overlooked any comments in regards to this subject.
Is there indeed no dynamic panning or have I overlooked a key element somewhere?
I would appreciate any feedback regarding this issue.
Thank you
#12858 by Graeme
Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:42 am
There is no dynamic 3D based orbirt in Datacad. I will totally second you on that one. But we will have to wait and see not sure if there is anything on this in Datacad 12. Maybe someone can pipe in here who has seen Datacad 12 being demod.
#12904 by linethrower
Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:08 am
I just received the DataCAD e-news e-mail from DataCAD LLC. Mark included a great tip on “Orbit Mode” in 3D Views. It is not quite as versatile as orbiting in other programs but is a vast improvement over the way I had been maneuvering around a model.
Thanks a lot for the tip, Mark. I should have known you had an orbit tool somewhere.
#12910 by Dick Eades
Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:23 am
One really wierd thing is when you have become accustomed to orbiting in SU and go back to using Dcad and automatically try to orbit your flat drawings using the same methods. That and the fact that the scroll wheel zoom is reversed.
#12911 by Graeme
Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:32 am
linethrower wrote:I just received the DataCAD e-news e-mail from DataCAD LLC...

I never new there was such a thing. How do I sign up for that. And could you also give us that tip you were talking about with 3D orbit?

Thanks

Graeme
#12915 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:09 am
Here's the contents of the message, but I don't see an add to mailing list option: The 3D orbit works o.k., but it needs to be 3D rendered so it's a lot smoother IMHO.
DATACAD LLC

Software for AEC Professionals Since 1984

www.datacad.com

20 Tower Lane

Avon, CT 06001

USA

Sales

(860) 677-4004 Main

(800) 394-2231 Sales

(860) 677-2610 Sales Fax

info@datacad.com

Technical Support

(860) 677-2829 Technical Support

(860) 677-2883 Technical Support Fax

techsupport@datacad.com

Free DataCAD Forum

forum.datacad.com

25 July 2006

Re: Summertime Special

Save an additional 10% on orders over $200

and get Free UPS Ground Shipping

when you order online before 8/31/2006

Dear Registered DataCAD User:

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, summer is in full swing. To help you “beat-the-heat” and to thank you for your continued support, we're offering a 10% discount on orders over $200 and Free UPS Ground Shipping on your online purchases through 8/31/2006. So if you’ve been waiting to upgrade to DataCAD 11, now is the time to visit our online store at www.datacad.com/store.

Thank you for supporting DATACAD,

Mark F. Madura

President/CEO

mark@datacad.com

forum.datacad.com

I’m pleased to announce the DataCAD Forum (forum.datacad.com) is now up to 1,000+ registered users. Since February 2005, there have been 2,000 topics raised along with 10,000 responses. If you have not yet discovered this valuable resource, I encourage you to visit to get answers, share ideas, and interact with other DataCAD users around the world.

Thanks to all of you who have participated and made this free forum a success.

Tip of the Day: “Orbit Mode”

To orbit around a focal point in your model...

Go to 3D Views, Set Perspective.
Turn off Fixed Focal and Pan View if they are on.
Position your eye point and center of perspective view.
Note:

Your center of perspective view will be the point to orbit around.

Go back to 3D Views, Set Perspective.
Turn on Fixed Focal.
Re-select your eye point to return to the perspective view.
Use [Ctrl] + [Alt] + Left Button (Panning) to navigate around the focal point.

Tip of the Day: GoTo View and Text Scale

Did you know you can select a GoTo View and automatically set corresponding text settings?

Here’s the gist gleaned from DataCAD Guru Neil Blanchard’s July DBUG presentation.

Go to the Misc tab of Program Preferences.
Make sure that “Saved with GoTo Views” is checked in the “Current Plot Scale” section.
Note:

With this feature enabled, the current plot scale will be saved with any GoTo View you create or update.

Also on the Program Preferences Misc tab, uncheck “Changes plot scale if TxtScale is on” in the “PgUp/Dn in Text Menu” section.
Note:

When this feature is checked, you can change the current plot scale while entering text, but you can’t zoom in and out of your drawing.

Go to the Text menu and toggle on Text Scale.
Note:

This is a drawing setting, not a program setting so you may want to enable this feature in your default drawing(s).

From the Text menu select Size and set it to the height you want your text to print on paper. For 1/8” you would enter 0.0.1/8.
From the Text menu select Plot Scale. If you select 1/4" = 1’ – 0”, DataCAD will automatically enter text at a real world size of 6” in order to plot 1/8” high at 1/4" scale.
Note:

The Plot Scale option only appears on the Text menu when Text Scale is enabled and “Changes plot scale if TxtScale is on” is unchecked as described above.

Now that your plot scale is set to 1/4" and your text is 6” high, you can save a GoTo View that will remember the current plot scale.
Assuming you’re on the text layer of your drawing and looking at an area you would enter notes for a 1/4" scale plan, press the [v] key to access the GoTo View menu.
Select Add View and give it a name or accept the default.
Now whenever you want to get back to this part of your drawing and automatically set the text height for 1/4" scale notes, simply press [v], and select the view you just added.

Hopefully you’ll get the idea after trying the steps above. This same technique also applies to your dimension settings. For more DataCAD tips, please visit forum.datacad.com.

Thank you for supporting DataCAD and have a great summer!

MFM

The preceding message is intended for design professionals who would like to be kept up to date on new DataCAD products, news and events.

We have recently updated this list to include all purchasers and registrants of DataCAD products and services.

If you would like to be removed from this list, please follow these steps.

1. Send an e-mail message to:

registered_user-unsubscribe@datacad.com

2. You will receive an e-mail message from the DATACAD mail server to confirm your request.

3. Simply reply to the confirmation message to be removed from the list.

EOF
#13598 by ATGardner
Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:45 pm
This sounds like my recent wishlist entry for Spaceball 5000 or SpacePilot (Logitech/3DConnections Div) support in DataCAD

So far DataCAD doesn't support it (as far as I can tell). I see that there is a SketchUp driver/Plug-in in beta. That will make Orbit tool really sweet!

Although it is expensive, learning that SketchUp will be supporting it has sealed my buy decision. Now it DCAD bit the bullet too!

I'd be in heaven!