What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#13597 by ATGardner
Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:31 pm
Does anyone know if there are any plans on DCAD's part to offer support (drivers/plug-ins) for the Logitech (3dconnections) Spaceball 5000/SpacePilot "view manipulation" device?

I'm nearly close to purchasing one for SketchUp, ACAD, ...

Kind of pricey, but I'm anxious to try it out. It would be nice to know I could eventually make use of it with DCAD. It has both 2D and 3D operating modes. (As I understand anyway.)

It's a "left hand" device (not mouse replacement) that controls view positioning? For 3d it can pan, zoom, and rotate in any combination. In 2D pan and zoom? With a flick of the wrist? Plus multi programmable buttons. (For Alt, CTRL, ...+? Macros? Zoom Extents?)

I'd be willing to attempt a start at developing a plug-in if all else fails. (I'd like to have it that much!) But I'm not sure where to look for DCAD's requirements for DCAD's 2D and 3D view input requirements. Seems that's the work. Buttons seem more straightforward.

I'm no a programming ace to be sure, but I dabble a bit. Given time (not in excess these days!) I know I could produce a kludge that at least works. Sometimes?

I reviewed the SDK guide from the company, seems geared to those intimately familiar with thier product, but it seems basically a gatekeeper that listens for "events" from the device, then passes them on to the program. Large concern is with error handling as I guess most programs are. Anyway.

Thanks.

TG