What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?

Which idea would you find most useful/time saving? (If you like more than 1, vote twice!)

28%
22%
22%
6%
6%
N/A
17%
N/A
N/A
#14217 by The Cad Man
Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:58 pm
I am currently using DataCAD on a daily basis and have discovered several things that seem to eat up a lot of time. Here they are, and I hope an effort is made to include these features in DataCAD12.

PDFs - It would be very helpful if you could batch process a plot in to a single PDF file with MULTIPLE PAGES. For example if you batch plot an (1)Elevation, (2)Floor Plan, (3)Section, & (4)Details, you could create a single PDF with the 4 pages those in the order of the "Go-To-Views" (1,2,3 & 4). It would also be nice to have alternate file types supported for plotting to files (JPEG, GIF, etc.).

Snaps - I would LOVE TO HAVE AutoCAD SNAPS!! Eliminate the middle click (N), or make it a preference setting, and use AutoCAD sytle snaps. Where a yellow box appears when you are on the Endpoint, a triangle appears on a Midpoint, etc. This makes for much faster drawing!!

Mirroring Entities - I would like the mirror function to be de-bugged so that the text is alligned as it was prior to mirroring it. It is so time consuming to move all the little text around, flipping symbols so the are alligned correctly, re-centering text, etc. This whole idea brings me to my next wish, which I would think is a bit more challenging to program

XREFS - I would LOVE to be able to XREF a mirror of a set of plans. It is sometimes required of building departments for us to submit a whole new set of plans, even if it is just a flip, flop, reverse, or whatever you may call it. Because of the many steps in the submittal process, I find that we are still making changes (owner, plan check, general corrections, etc.) to the plans, and are doing so after having reversed them which means we have to go and make changes to both the original set of plans and the additional reveresed set of plans. If it was possible to XREF a mirror of the plans, it would make the corrections to both the original as well as the reverse. THIS WOULD HELP OUT IMMENSLY!!

Layers - A more structured, heirarchal layering system as mentioned previously in this forum. For example you would have a windows style of structure, main folder, sub-folders, more sub-folders, and then specific files. This could be used to have a main group of "1st Floor plan" containing the sub-layers "walls, windows/doors, room labels, text, etc". and so on for all the various sheets of the drawing.

Arrows - The moving of arrows, can we make it so that the arrow head moves with the leader?

Dimensions - Using the "Tick" marks for the dimensions, if you mirror the dimension, it sometimes reverses the tick mark too, this is annoying because you have to go back and mirror along the line to get the ticks to go all in the same direction. It would be nice to make these entities to be "smarter".

Memory ("group","entity", etc.) - It would be nice if the program could remember if you were altering entities, groups, areas, etc. and apply that to all the commands rather than making it command dependent. For example if you move a group a text (lets say 3 lines) and you choose "group" in the move command, and the you go and want to change the text of that whole group, that the program would remember that the last thing you altered was a "group". Because as it is set up now, you could move a "group", and then change the context of one "entity" of text, this is slightly annoying. It could be possible to make this a preference, and opposed to completely changing it.

Multi-Line Text - Can we get some multi-line text in this program? Its pretty annoying to move one line of text in a group of notes, and then add a line and have to move all the other text so it doesn't overlap.

Room Lables/Floor Plan tags - We use the "Room Label" function/macro to create floor plan notes on our drawings. For example we will have a #3 pointing to a kitchen sink, which will reference a bank of notes we have compiled and placed in a template. We rarely deviate from this bank of notes, and use the same numbers for the same things, plan after plan. I am proposing another idea. It would be nice if we could set up a similar bank of notes that were tied/linked to numbers inserted via the room lables funtion. I am saying that you use a rubberband window to determine where the text can fit on the drawing, and then you go about adding in your numbered lables. Then, for example when you add a 3 to the plans via the "room label" function it automatically references the bank of notes and insterts that numbered note to the rectangle you already determined. Then you could have the ability to move and reshape the rectangle so that it could fit into a custom/tighter area of the drawing. Having the ability to change text styles, spacings, etc would also be great. In addition to this, we will use a 5 note for a stove, but sometimes they are gas, sometimes they have an oven, etc. While the number may be the same, the note is different, so it would be nice to scroll through a short list of all the 5's that were set up in the bank of notes, and then insert the appropriate one. On top of this being able to edit the multi-line text would be swell. The thing is if we make changes to the plans and add a closet, there is a note corresponding to the shelves in the closet, so if we then add a 52 note to the plans, it would automatically update the bank of notes we created, say 2 weeks earlier. However, it would be necessary to have the ability to choose from multiple banks of notes, since there are different notes for the elevation than for the floor plan. It would also be nice if you could link symbols to the notes as well for the legend on the electrical plans, so that when you add a symbol for an outlet, it plops in the same symbol and the appropriate note into a predeternimed area (rectangle discussed earlier) A slightly complicated thing to program, but much time would be saved in the long run.

Overshoots - Having the ability to set the overshoots by layer instead of being "entity" dependent would be a huge help. Again, it is so time conusming to get all the layers off, and then change the overshoots to a bunch of entities, and the make sure they are turned off on another layer, it would be nice to have a toggle within the layer manager, then you could always draw with the overshoots off to ensure your lines are connected and then just have them plot out via a layer setting.

These are all suggestions that would help to save hours of time, and I hope that efforts can be made to incorporate them into a new version of DataCAD. If there are any questions about what I am getting at, please respond to this post and I will try to answer questions, or provide more information. This is not only true of myself, but our office as a whole. Thanks!

Please respond to the poll, the more interest there is these suggested features the more likely they will be considered in future versions!!
#14218 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:01 pm
Hello & welcome to the DataCAD forum!

We can already mirror XRef's -- I just tried it, and it works fine.

I'm not getting how having to wait for the snapping point to flyout saves any time -- just center snap near where you want it to go, and it's done. Having said that, v12 will have flyout indicators for snap points.

V12 will also have the multiline text. "Smart" arrows are pretty likely, too. We have not seen them, but they would be easy to do, I think.

I'd possibly go for a "tree" structure in the layers; depending on how it is implimented, and what benefits it would have. But GoTo Views make layers as they are, pretty easy to deal with.

For the Entity, Group, Area, Fence, Mask (EGAFM), I just hit the F1, F2, F3, F4 as needed: to erase an entity E, F1, click, to Stretch and Area Alt-S, F3, pick, (F1?) pick...

If you turn off Layer Search, Alt-I on a line on the layer you want to add overshoots to, hit Alt-C, click on Overshoots (or Shift-F2), F3, pick, F1, pick -- you're done.

Or, hit L, F4, pick to set that layer Active Only, then Alt-C, Overshoots, F3, pick, F1, pick...then Alt-V and reselect the Goto View you were on before.

Having said that, I don't often use overshoots, but having it in the Layer Manager might make sense.
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
#14221 by MtnArch
Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:00 am
Neil -

Would it be easier for you in the long run to do a traveling "road show" and just set up a bunch of User Group seminars along the way? Can the SJVDUG be the first? :lol:

Seriously, you are a wealth of knowledge and help ... thank you!!!
#14225 by The Cad Man
Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:12 am
I think the issue i was getting at with the mirrored XREFs is the problem with mirroring text, and its inability to keep the same position withim a drawing, once this gets fixed, then all will be great!!

As for the overshoots, we use them in all our drawings, and some layers do not use them, that why an option within the layers would be nice.

And as for the F1, F2, etc. I am qucik with those, dont get me wrong, DataCAD is much faster than AutoCAD in this sense, but if i am just working with details (which we pull in as groups from a template) all i am going to want to do is alter entities, not groups and not likely areas. Like i said it would be a nice preference steeing to have.

Lastly, when do you see DataCAD 12 being released? Quite anxious to get a hold of that! Thanks!
#14226 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:20 am
I voted for mirroring all entities. I would think the xrefs would fall into that same category so maybe the xref vote option is kind of mute. Anyways, Cadman is right, xref a complete sheet Neil, especially one with symbol attributes and other xrefs in it, it goes way wacky. There are other issues in regards to mirroring which I have reported on in the beta area that really need to be addressed and hopefully they have been for v.12. It will be the first thing I check when we get the beta, before I even look at the smart stuff as it's more important to my everyday work at this point. I too find it to be a big pain trying to do a simple flop of a plan and have to resort mirroring and doing a lot more adjustments other than the standard text alignment issues. I have people waiting for months for flopped plans because I told them "My Cad software is working on a fix for it" waiting for the beta. I think a lot of it has to do with the way Datacad deals with xrefs in their memory area and how it addresses that memory for multiple xrefs of the same file, and the method of xref creation by means of copying an xref.
#14235 by Steve Scott
Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:26 pm
Cad Man,

I'm with you on the mirroring wish. One thing I've done that has helped
with submittals is this: if mirrored plans are required ONLY for submittal,
then I send a disclaimer to my client saying that mirrored plans will only
be part of the permit set because of the miriad of mirroring issues, and
shall not be used for construction. They will not be part of the field sets
and use of them will be done at the client's risk. This way I can be lax
with checking every entity for perfection.

My experience with some cities is that they want reverse plans because
their inspectors can't read plans. Yep, I had a city official admit this to
me once. Back in the hand drafting days I simply reversed the originals
when running prints. Text and all were mirrored, but hey.

The biggest mirroring issues have to do with text, and even if DataCAD
develops multi-line text, there's still the problem with placement of
leader arrows (top left vs. bottom right).
#14237 by Tony Blasio
Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:30 pm
I have to mirror every plan we build reverse from standard because our trades and construction supervisors won't use them otherwise. It takes me I would love to have the mirroring fix or enhanced! :D
#14242 by The Cad Man
Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:41 pm
Another couple of features i forgot about but would be nice to have...

AutoCAD style Pan - The feature where you can click the wheel button, and pan/drag the drawing, much faster that using the arrows to pan or the "P" keystroke.

Crossing Windows - The ability to drag a crossing window by pulling the window the opposite direction, just like AutoCAD. If you click and drag left to right it is a standard window, but if you click and drag right to left it is a crossing window. Something like a dotted line to signify the crossing window could also be added for a visial indicator.

These are some sweet functions that I wich DataCAD had!!
#14243 by Tony Blasio
Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:03 pm
The Cad Man wrote:AutoCAD style Pan - The feature where you can click the wheel button, and pan/drag the drawing, much faster that using the arrows to pan or the "P" keystroke.

You can do something like this now. Press and hold down the Ctrl+Alt key then left click and drag the display around. This works in DataCAD 11 right now. :D

The Cad Man wrote:Crossing Windows - The ability to drag a crossing window by pulling the window the opposite direction, just like AutoCAD. If you click and drag left to right it is a standard window, but if you click and drag right to left it is a crossing window. Something like a dotted line to signify the crossing window could also be added for a visial indicator.

This is something I wish DataCAD did have, at least an option for it. I know alot of users would hate the change but I would like to have the implied crossing when dragging the cursor one way and non-crossing when dragging the other way. :idea:
#14244 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:22 pm
Once you start a selection area or fence, you can hit F1 to toggle crossing.
#14245 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:29 pm
Hello Nate,

The Cad Man wrote:Crossing Windows - The ability to drag a crossing window by pulling the window the opposite direction, just like AutoCAD. If you click and drag left to right it is a standard window, but if you click and drag right to left it is a crossing window. Something like a dotted line to signify the crossing window could also be added for a visial indicator.

DataCAD has this: just pick the first point (of an Area or a Fence) and then hit F1 to get Crossing.

And as Tony mentioned, v11.08.01 has dynamic panning, too. :) I deselect the option to require the Control key for the Scroll Wheel to zoom, as well.
#14251 by Greg Blandin
Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:49 am
I happen to agree with the Crossing Windows feature. Granted you can use the crossing option (f1) but that is one extra step that really shouldn't be needed. Doesn't matter how good or fast you get with it.

A feature like that will get rid of the whole entity, group, area, fence stuff. Well maybe keep the group and fence options.
#14252 by Paul Nida
Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:26 am
I prefer the crossing feature the way it is in DCAD. I find the way ACAD does it annoying as hell. While I am sure that ACAD has some features I would like to have, if I wanted a program that worked just like ACAD, I would use Intellicad. It basically works like ACAD and you can get it for free.
#14253 by The Cad Man
Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:33 am
all the suggestions for how DataCAD does these functions are great, and I know them, but why take the extra steps all the time? why not make it more effective. I mean would you still get on the highway to go to the grocery store if someone showed you a faster way from your house? I think we would all chose the faster way. i understand that DataCAD uses these features, but i hate having to push f-keys all the time, and shift-f-keys when they should already be programmed in a user friendly way. Like in DataCAD 9, the only way you could copy and drag something was to move-drag "and copy" why add a copy command? you can already drag and copy by hitting shift-f2 in the move command? - this is the same logic you guys are using, and i think its pointless to keep pushing extra buttons no matter how fast you can do it.