What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#14440 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:42 am
deliriousga wrote:Is it possible to set a different line type for each layer... ?
...Since we always use different line types/colors for electrical, dimensions, brick, etc...

Hello,

After readind (and making mind fly over) this wish item from John Schilling, I've figured out how we could simplify the use and change of linetypes, when we are devoted to a specific project on a drawing.

Please, follow me: If I am doing an electrical drawing, suppose I'd need using just four linetypes: solid, dashed, an two customized linetypes, a double-dash-dot and a tripre-weigth solid line (Waw!).

Considering that I can use 'Q' key to swap among each linetype, if my target set of linetypes is the whole DataCAD folder, the use of 'Q' would be useless. For a simple reason: this four linetypes can be so far away from each other, that to change from one to another, should require many steps.

Taking a ride into John's wish, I'd like to think if the creation of a sub-set of linetypes, that also should be available to attach to a certain layer, wouldn't simplify and improve the designer's job ?
Of course the access to the whole set of DataCAD linetypes should remain available.

Thanks,
Miguel
#14444 by Jon C. Hubart
Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:06 am
Miguel Palaoro wrote:Please, follow me: If I am doing an electrical drawing, suppose I'd need using just four linetypes: solid, dashed, an two customized linetypes, a double-dash-dot and a tripre-weigth solid line (Waw!).

Considering that I can use 'Q' key to swap among each linetype, if my target set of linetypes is the whole DataCAD folder, the use of 'Q' would be useless. For a simple reason: this four linetypes can be so far away from each other, that to change from one to another, should require many steps.

Taking a ride into John's wish, I'd like to think if the creation of a sub-set of linetypes, that also should be available to attach to a certain layer, wouldn't simplify and improve the designer's job ?
Of course the access to the whole set of DataCAD linetypes should remain available.

Thanks,
Miguel

One way to do this now would be to go to the Program Preferences - Misc. tab and turn off the External Definitions - Display Line Types.

With that option turned off you could create multiple default files for each of the trades in question that only has the desired list of linetypes loaded. If you have need of additional linetypes for unique situations you go to the Line Type Manager and load only the ones you need.

Now you have only a few linetypes to scroll thru with "Q".

Jon
#14474 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:38 am
Jon C. Hubart wrote:...One way to do this now would be to go to the Program Preferences - Misc. tab and turn off the External Definitions - Display Line Types.
With that option turned off you could create multiple default files for each of the trades in question that only has the desired list of linetypes loaded.

Thanks, Jon.

Indeed, the wished idea would be useful if, and when, you are making that "electrical" drawing in the same file with the other projects, while linetypes loading is global, and not constrained to one or another, among all layers.
The always desired CAD standards specify "thousands" os layers for a single drawing file, what makes virtually close to impossible to handle standards for simple drawings.
The layer/linetypes tie could be included on a future Master Manager, for controlling Layers/GTV's/Linetypes... , allowing the user to make easier the job. My hope so far.

Thanks,
Miguel