What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#14825 by Dick Eades
Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:48 am
I use symbols for my title blocks because I can assign attributes for the variables - sheet numbers, sheet titles, scale, etc. I find that this is better than having the title block as an xref, except for one thing. Late in the job and the client wants his name in the title block, since the architect and all the engineers have their names there. Time to redefine and reload title blocks into each and every sheet.

If we had a class of symbol that would always read its definition from the disk like an xref, that problem would be solved. I can see where this could have some other possibilities for symbol use as well because sometimes this symbol protection thing can be a real pain and I'd like to be able to turn it off for some classes of symbols.

Either that or allow an xref to have editable attributes (not as good).
#14826 by Greg Blandin
Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:51 am
We have our titleblock as an xref and add a separate attributed symbol for the sheet number and description.

Everything else on the titleblock gets changed in the main titleblock file.
#14861 by Dick Eades
Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:41 am
That's an idea. Maybe I'll try it on the next job.

One thing I also wrestle with is the date. I use the Stamp feature during project development, but when we are ready to issue for permit, we freeze the date. If that went in as a symbol attribute, it would have to be edited in each file, but in the xref, it could be changed only once for all sheets. That's what I like about the xref part.

Has anyone tried symbol attributes for a revision list? You could start with the list blank and fill them in as the revs mount up but you would have to leave out the little triangles. Maybe put it as a marker at the top of the list.
#14872 by Greg Blandin
Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:55 pm
We have a stamp that show when the drawings were printed and where they are located.

We have a Print Date which we actually rarely use. It's more of a last revision type date and thats on the titleblock xref.
#14903 by joshhuggins
Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:59 am
We use Greg's method too, and it works out pretty well.
#14910 by Dick Eades
Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:54 pm
Yes, I use that, too. But our printdate and filename stamp is kept back under the binding edge. The date I refer to is one I put in a prominent place in the title block to indicate the vintage of the sheet, but this date is frozen when the plans are issued for permit. After that date, all subsequent issues are considered to be revisions and are handled differently, unless the set is re-issued in which case the issue date is changed.

Example: we recently printed a set for an informal review/conversation with the building official and the date was frozen for that issue, but we are continuing to work on the drawings and will formally issue again in a few weeks. So the freezing of the issue date was premature, and redefining and reloading the border symbol in each sheet file is a chore. It's nice to have the automation during the early stages, but, once frozen, it's a pain.

This is a case, that I expressed above, for a class of symbol that would always reload its definition from the disk rather than protect the symbol in the drawing.