What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#1216 by Dave
Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:25 am
I would like some discussion on this feature.

As I see it most of the time I (and maybe you) draw with ortho on and Dir Distance. My cursor is constrained to 45deg increments (can't remember where to set that). I can click a point on the screen and move my mouse in the direction I wish to go, enter a length hit enter and I have a line drawn to the length I entered. If I was moving at 90deg thats the angle the lines drawn at. I can also pull the line from the starting point, hold down shift and centre click, pick "get y" and I have my line drawn to the length I require.

Now why not start drawing the line in the direction I'm wanting constrained by ortho and just snap to the point I want it to line up with. When ortho is on lock the line in the direction of travel
e.g
click starting point,
move mouse to the right,
type 3000,
hit enter,
move mouse up the screen,
type 3000,
hit enter,
move mouse left to draw a line constrained by ortho parallel to the first line now pull the mouse down toward the first point made and snap to it, this would make the third line the same length as the first line drawn.

Ortho should keep the line constrained to the angles set.

If we draw the above example as Datacadd stands we get a triangle. Anybody want to take a guess as to how many less mouse clicks would be required in a set of plans if the line was constrained to ortho.(yer I know depends on the size of the job)

If you want to draw the line to the point snapped to press 'o'.

Just some thoughts.

The 2d Cadd system I grew up on had this FEATURE. If you wanted the line to be off ortho you would just hold down the ctrl key while snapping to the point. Maybe we could use umm... shift.
#1220 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:08 am
Hello Dave,

My question is: how many times you will need a line on a projection distance, instead of a snapped line to a specified point ?
My experience is that you need much more times the second option then the first.
I guess that the dominance of 'object snap' over 'ortho' is better.

Since you can always change your choices with the mouse buttons, and you have still the "shift" key to get the projection you are looking for.

Thanks.
#1225 by Paul Nida
Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:40 am
What if you want to draw a triangle, in your senario you are stuck with a rectangle. If I want to draw a rectangle I use the rectangle command and just click two points. I use the Get X/Y a lot for matching the end point of a line to another point. If I am drawing at odd angles I can match my cursor to the angle and still use the Get X/Y feature even on the angle.