What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#18164 by sledge
Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:57 am
A fervent wish guys and girls in DataCAD development land.

Having noted over the years that DataCAD in Australia has been losing market share to AutoCAD to the point where even strident DataCAD uses have had to give up because the logistics of servicing projects with competent DataCAD users has become more and more difficult, I request "that if it is at all possible software development should concentrate on becoming wholly compatible with Dwg format drawings.
Most of our consultants currently issue drawings to us in DWG format. DataCAD for all its power and user-friendliness is powerless to re-interpret a drawing without massive manipulation when the source material comes in the form of a "paper space" drawing.
I suppose when it comes down to it I'm asking the gurus DataCAD to give some consideration to translate a paper space DWG drawing with all "viewports" and fonts to translate exactly as the DWG drawing was presented in its original form.
If this apparently considerable hurdle could be overcome I personally feel sure that DataCAD's market share would increase considerably.

All the very best to the DataCAD team

Steve Ledger

PS Whats news on version 12?
#18263 by sledge
Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:48 am
Hi Neil and happy New Year

Regarding your reply
I understand that Autodesk claims Revit claim to be 100% compatible with DWG's even though they may use a different drawing format.
I have only tinkered around with a demo version of Revit and that was some time ago come to think of it.

Steve
#18268 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:51 am
Hello Steve,

DataCAD v12 will export MSP sheets to DWG -- the MSP details are made into symbols/blocks, and they are shown WYSIWYG in the DWG. As far as importing from PS, I don't know...
#18283 by Greg Blandin
Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:40 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello Steve,

DataCAD v12 will export MSP sheets to DWG -- the MSP details are made into symbols/blocks, and they are shown WYSIWYG in the DWG. As far as importing from PS, I don't know...

PS ???

Didn't you for get the O?

No....I'm just kidding. I know what PS is.
#18865 by sledge
Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:19 am
Neil and Greg
Sorry I've been away on vacation hence the slow reply.

Neil
That sounds really exciting Neil. much as I like MSP I've had to revert to Xrefs to achieve a similar effect which can be exported to DWG. do you know whether we will be able to zoom in on MSP's to check detail?

Greg
Don't forget your medicine.
Just kidding

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Best regards.
Steve