What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#18923 by Allan Kent
Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:46 am
Autocad has a facility called "save states". This appears to relate to our "Go to Views". If in exporting to dwg our "go to views" could be translated to "save states" it would presumably make it easier for the autocad user to read or re set up our drawings. A full blown translation would be better but perhaps this might be a simple improvement. I would be interested to receive any comments.
Allan Kent (UK).
#18924 by Greg Blandin
Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:51 am
Most AutoCAD users that I've spoken with don't fully understand layer states. Thus they rarely use it. So even if our Goto Views are translated to layer states, they might still not be used because the Acad user doesn't know how.

Just an observation I've had.
#18935 by joshhuggins
Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:35 am
I've brought this up before, and they work very well the last time I used Autocad, v.2001 or 2002? I think the only thing it was missing was it did not reposition the drawing window like our GTV's do, which is not a big deal at all. It sure would save a lot of work exporting files to DWG. We wouldn't have to do Layers On, hardly at all if this could be figured out. Even if our GTV's could not be created in the dwg files when exported, if our GTV's could be exported as external layer states, then Autocad users could just import the states they want to use. Either way it would be a huge feature I'm sure for us Datacad users in working with Autocad clients. I created a little example file to send along with our DWG files for those who didn't know what they were in hope that A) they would start to use them and B) that maybe it would help those Autocad users who leave a rats nest of data scattered all over their dwg files would learn how layers can really be used well.

Here is a scanned PDF of part of that document. I don't have the original anymore I guess :?
#18976 by Dick Eades
Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:09 pm
How about we get the AutoCAD users to work extra hard to make their stuff compatible with DataCAD, instead.
#18979 by joshhuggins
Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:04 pm
Dick Eades wrote:How about we get the AutoCAD users to work extra hard to make their stuff compatible with DataCAD, instead.
Autocaders... work hard :!: :?: :!:
#18981 by Dick Eades
Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:04 pm
Glad I could make your day, Josh.