What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#21132 by adamD
Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:59 am
Anything that makes using and creating curves would be immensely helpful. I do a lot of 3d modeling using DataCAD and I tell you, I dread when there is a curve in the project. Please consider that for your future release!
#21141 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 am
Anything in particular your trying to do? Maybe some of the 3D experts can give you some pointers.
#21145 by adamD
Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:03 pm
I have been using 3d modeling software for over 10 years now, and DataCAD for 5. Creating curves in any way in DataCAD seems to have problems. The only curved modeling I have ever felt was up to snuff in DataCAD was surface of revolution.

So nothing specific, just cathcing up to the other cad and modeling software would be nice.
#21146 by Michael Olney
Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:18 pm
Well, the good news is that I've been told that the 3D entities (primitives) are supposed to get "some past due attention in the near future". The bad news is that, at least for the initial release, v12 probably won't have many advantages with curves in 3D that v11 doesn't have.
#21155 by Michael Olney
Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:58 pm
Some upgrades to the 3D slabs were tried for a time, but it was causing problems with the drawing file size so they had to be removed. They do seem to be very aware that 3D improvements need to be made and are working very hard to get them to us.

In general, V12 does have some nice improvements with 3D modeling. Assigning materials to entities is much easier and faster. The new 3D Boolean tool is nice. Enhanced 3D symbols. The new smart wall, doors, and windows provide some nice advantages. There are other 3D enhancements as well (I just can't think of them all at this moment).