What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#2584 by John
Wed May 11, 2005 1:05 pm
I don't know if this has come up before, but a simple (but nice feature I would like to see) is for the possibility of DataCAD automatically checking for software updates each time it starts up, or at least once a week. That way, for example, everyone in the office I am working at can all stay with the current version. A couple days ago it turned out at least 3 computers were running a different version of DataCAD 11, and that can lead to problems.
#2592 by artmanvt2000
Thu May 12, 2005 6:52 am
I know what you mean. But in the mean time I think something that would help is to set up policy that when anyone updates there Datacad they should notify everyone. Here in our office, I have grabbed the bull by the horns, and have taken the job of cadd manager, because if I didn't there would be a big mess having three different cadd users. When there is a new update I make sure it gets installed on all cadd machines. I hope this can help.
#2593 by Tony Blasio
Thu May 12, 2005 6:56 am
Yes a policy on the user end would be most appropriate. At my last job I was responsible for updating all the machines whenever an update was released. Here since I am the only DataCAD user it is not an issue, but I am still in charge of the updating of DataCAD :wink:

I do agree that an automatic update policy would be nice as an option though. There are alot of users who usually sit back and wait awhile before updating.
#2602 by joshhuggins
Thu May 12, 2005 10:32 am
artmanvt2000 wrote:...because if I didn't there would be a big mess having three different cadd users.

Wait till you 20+!!! Oy!
#2603 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu May 12, 2005 12:16 pm
Hello,

My previous experience says that this 'mandatory' update wouldn't be the best choice, because in years working with software, there was not only one time that an update which would be working fine for some situation, shouldn't do it in others.
With the language translation management too this is very sensitive.

So, my preferrence would be for the way as it works today.

I vote for a good update policy on the site.

Thanks,
Miguel
#2925 by John
Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:42 pm
Yeah I have to admit that it has become my job to manage software around my office, not just datacad. I have tried getting everyone to update at the same time, or at least work together but they seem to forget rather quickly. The other problem is that I am leaving this office in a few months (unless they chain me to my desk), and I have doubts they will continue doing what I have started unless the computer does it automatically.
#2926 by artmanvt2000
Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:52 pm
I feel your pain bro
#2927 by Tony Blasio
Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:13 pm
I use a spftware package that everytime you start it it goes on-line and checks to see if there is an update. If there is an update it tells you there is one available and asks if you want to install it. You can select No and the software behaves as normal, or you select Yes and wait for it to download and install. I would be in favor of this with DataCAD. Then the end user still has the option of not updating and as an office policy users could alternately be instructed to install when available.

Would this be better? Any thoughts?
#2928 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:40 pm
It would be nice if Datacad had an auto check for updates feature that had aadjustable timer. Maybe check every 30,60 or 90 days. If an update is found then it ask you "do you want to update now?" Then the local IT guys can set there stations to a more active check time limit, maybe every 5 days or so.