What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#3198 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:47 pm
Hello,

I must return to this wish item, because the ground plane is a great help when you are starting your 3D model. It is nice to use it because you can keep a visual 'ground' reference, while you build the main body of your model.

Yesterday, during a presentation I had modeled an horizontal polygon to simulate the floor finishing.
To show the result I was required to change the 'Z' position of the new floor (added just 1cm), because it was coincident with the ground plane (at Z-Base).
At that time I should turn 'ground plane' OFF, but it would require to shut down DataCAD XI, edit the .INI file and restart DataCAD.
You can imagine that during a live presentation for near 40 people, this would be very annoying.

1) My first wish is that this setting from DCADWIN.INI become available into DataCAD "Proprierties" to be turned ON/OFF on-the-fly.

2) Another improvement should be the connection of that (virtual) entity to the "real world", which would allow to set different materials to the ground plane, while it is ON.

TIA,
Miguel
#3199 by devinder
Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:05 pm
o2c settings are not loaded at DataCAD start and thus you do not have to close DataCAD. Simply open Dcadwin.ini, edit the change you want to make, save the ini and finally Re-Launch o2c viewer.
#3201 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:34 pm
That's better Devinder.

Thank you.

While we can't have that huge change on "Proprierties" as proposed by Josh, what about you report which of the settings into DCADWIN.INI are read on start and which are not. We can have more liberty on settings control.

Thanks,
Miguel
#3259 by Miguel Palaoro
Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:19 pm
Hello Dave,

The solution of adopting the possibility to toggle it internally makes it much more useful then it was before.
Thank you very much.

OTOH, placing the 'Plane Ground' toggle into the Rendering Settings is far better then the I had imagined before.

Congratulations! You really know what you can extract from the capabilities of the tools you have available. Very smart.

Thanks again,
Miguel