The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#50788 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:Fun with DCAL for Delphi. I've been working on a 'randomizer' prototype. This is 254 random spheres.

Hi Mark,

I'm positively impressed with your commitment on DCAL for Delphi stuff.

Would you dare to line up a set of steps to a guy (like some that I know) who would be interested to enter on the programming world using DataCAD ?

A kind of "how to..." collection, including:
    a) how to start
    b) what to know by first, and second
    c) which tools you'd need

Anyone that would be intersted to learn from scratch might face the challenge.

Thanks,
Miguel
#50794 by rod_walker
Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:26 pm
The 'sticky' notes that Mark posted have been a real help to me. I had been too comfortable working with old Dcal so avoided entering the 'New World'. A computer upgrade forced me to re-think. Because of licensing difficuilties for the old Borland Delphi I am in the process of purchacing Delphi XE Pro to run on my Windows 7 64 bit system.
A 'stick note' on setting up Compiler directives and the best place in folder hierachy to place programs would be helpful.
I would be willing to post my progress.

Rod Walker
#50796 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 pm
Fortunately, there's not too much you have to consider as far as the Delphi environment is concerned. I've successfully compiled/run DCAL for Delphi macros using Delphi 6 and Delphi XE. So the version of Delphi you use shouldn't matter.

For folder structure, I keep a 'Header Files' folder in my DCAL for Delphi folder. Along with the 'Header Files' folder, I keep folders for each project. So the following Uses entries will be the same in any project.

Code: Select all  UConstants in '..\Header Files\UConstants.pas',
  UInterfaces in '..\Header Files\UInterfaces.pas',
  UInterfacesRecords in '..\Header Files\UInterfacesRecords.pas',
  URecords in '..\Header Files\URecords.pas',
  UVariables in '..\Header Files\UVariables.pas';

MFM
#50797 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:36 pm
Under Run, Parameters you'll want to configure the host application as 'C:\Program Files\DataCAD X3\DCADWIN.exe' or wherever you have DataCAD X3 installed. This will allow you to run your macro with debugging enabled.
#50838 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:11 pm
Randomizer BETA 1
NOTE: This macro is only compatible with DataCAD X3

'Randomizer' BETA 1 is a DCAL for Delphi Macro. I developed this macro to learn how to add various entity types to the DataCAD drawing database. I will be posting the source in the near future.

The functionality is experimental and mostly for fun though you might find the random symbols option useful.

Enjoy!

Thank You,

MFM