The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#72016 by dhs
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:12 pm
Hi,
I'm wondering if there is a history of changes that have been made to the DCAL for Delphi library files?

Also can anybody tell me how changes to the D4D libraries impact on compatibility of dmx files with older/newer versions of DataCAD?

e.g. I think the entity definition was changed in DC14 to allow for polygons with up to 256 sides, so I assume that the value of maxpoly in the D4D libraries was updated at that time (which effectively updates various entity type records).
How would this effect dmx compatibility:
Would a dmx file created with DC14 D4D libraries be compatible with previous versions of DataCAD (I expect not)?
Would a dmx created with pre-DC14 D4D libraries be compatible with DataCAD14 onwards?

Thanks,
David H.
#72023 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:45 pm
Hi David,

I might be able to put something together for you. The files that have change the most / most often are UInterfaces.pas and UVariables.pas. These two files need to get updated when we add or expose new functions and add program variables.

Strictly speaking, the header files you use to compile a macro should match the version of DataCAD they were issued for. However, in my experience, I've not run into problems running macros I've compiled in the past on newer versions of DataCAD. I suspect going backward would be problematic if you're trying to call a function or update a variable that doesn't exist in an older version of DataCAD.

I could certainly provide you with the DCAL for Delphi header files we've issued for each version of DataCAD 11 through 19.

MFM
#72030 by dhs
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:29 am
Thanks Mark,

Getting hold of the header files for each version would be useful. I would be grateful if you could send them to me. I could compile a list of the changes in each, which might be useful for determining compatibility.

David