The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#72639 by dhs
Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 pm
Changing the string assignments to strassign did not cause any change to the symptoms. It was a long shot, but I thought it was worth a try.

Can anybody throw any light on the log file or it's creation? Based on what I see in the log file, I think the problem is being caused by trying to add an attribute with a 13 character name - can anybody who is familiar with the log file creation process in DataCAD confirm my understanding of the log file entry?

Thanks,
David H.
#72680 by dhs
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:07 pm
I did resolve this after much debugging on the users machine....

The log file entry was not entirely accurate. The problem was being caused by trying to read an attribute with more than 12 characters in its name, but the actual location of the problem in the code was several dozen of lines after the call using the attribute name indicated by the log file. There were several attribute reads between the location indicated by the log file and the location where the actual problem was, so it was not even a 'recent' attribute name that was contained in the log file.

Interestingly, my code bug did not appear to be causing a problem in DataCAD 19.01 (the user who experienced the problem was running 19.00.03).
#72683 by Jsosnowski
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:18 pm
David,

I checked my temporary files folder and found I too had a log file posted based upon one of my macro experiments a couple weeks ago. The name of the log file matched the name of the file running in Datacad and appears to log the menu selections, error and message text lines invoked by the user. I tried using one of my test macros that causes an error message to be generated by Datacad, but the log file does not make any entry upon the error. This file could be of some use in tracking steps but I have not tested it in any depth.