The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#5950 by Ben at TJB Architects
Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:30 pm
I've decided to undertake the process of learning DCAL with the help of the online Tutorial on the DataCAD website.

When testing the setup, it says to go to Command Prompt and type in DCC TEST. Ok. Nothing. However, if I run DCC1 and DCC2 seperately I get the results that I should get when running DCC. What gives?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS - Anybody want to suggest a nice, simple programming editor other than text editor like Notepad. I've seen many freeware and shareware programs but would like suggestions from someone who has used them.
#5953 by joshhuggins
Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:19 am
If you don't need to program anything soon I would probably hold off a while. There is supposed to be a new dcal for delphi manual in the works. The quality and ease of programing something with Delphi would be well worth getting started learning Delphi. If you need help getting setup with software send me a IM and I'll hook you up. How is that manual coming guys?
Last edited by joshhuggins on Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#5961 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:03 am
joshhuggins wrote:...How is that manual coming guys?

Mine words too! (an updated tutorial included ?)

Miguel
#22562 by Ben at TJB Architects
Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:24 pm
Well, I never did bother with the DCAL stuff, but I am interested once again.
Is this offer still good, Josh?
If you need help getting setup with software send me a IM and I'll hook you up.
#22591 by joshhuggins
Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:38 am
Ben at TJB Architects wrote:Well, I never did bother with the DCAL stuff, but I am interested once again.
Is this offer still good, Josh?
If you need help getting setup with software send me a IM and I'll hook you up.
Remind me Monday, and I'll see what I can dig up. My home server is tore down so I'm missing a lot of my saved info right now.
#24308 by Jsosnowski
Sun May 20, 2007 8:06 pm
Compiling DCC macros is a two step process consisint of a DCC1 & DCC2 operation. It has been a while since I ran DCC macro compilations so I cannot tell you why the DCC command is failing. DCC1 takes each individual module and reads through the "??.dcs" text file and compiles it into a "??.dci" file if there are no errors. Any errors are reported as output lines in the dos window. DCC2 takes the ".dci" file and compiles it into a ".dco" file. IN macros with multiple modules, you may have many ".dco" files to be created before the macro is complete.

I always compiled macros using a batch file. As an example to compile a macro called atr I would create the following batch file "atr.bat" and then start it at a DOS prompt:

del \dcal\atr\atr.dco
cd \dcal
dcc1 \dcal\atr\atr >\dcal\atr\atr1.rpt
dcc2 \dcal\atr\atr >\dcal\atr\atr2.rpt
cd \dcal\atr

The output files such as "> dcal\atr\atr1.rpt" were great for including all the compiling steps and determining where the compiliation failed.

Each module in the final macro would have a similar batch file. Once all modules are created, they must be linked.

The linking batch file looks like this:
"dcl <atr.link >1link.rpt "

The atr.lnk file is :
"atr+atrmod2+atrmod3;" and lists each module to be linked.

I did discover one problem that I am not sure will create a problem. In my original batch files I used a file type of ".lnk" instead of ".link" for the final joining. Linking of the modules is done through the dcl program and I do not know if it expects a ".lnk" file exclusively. Since Windows shortcut files use the file typ ".lnk" this could create a problem. Hopefully, the file does not need this file type.

I hope this makes some sense. If you need more input let me know.

By the way, it looks like future macros will be using DCAl for Delphi, a very different approach to assemblijg macros. In fact, I do not know if DCAl 12 supports the old macro format. Does anybody know?