The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#76428 by dhs
Fri May 24, 2019 6:17 pm
Thanks Mark,

I thought you had pretty much lost interest in DCAL, so it's good to see you pro-actively posting to the DDN forum (2 posts within just a few hours!). This post is useful and I hope it encourages others to look more closely at DCAL for Delphi.

As you note, DCAL for Delphi has many advantages over Classic DCAL. You miss what I consider one of the biggest advantages ... the ability to use the Delphi debugger (). When I wrote the Space Planner macro I spent many many hours adding debugging code to try to work out what was causing problems ... I am now writing a successor macro in Delphi and can simply step through the logic and examine variables at each step if required.

But there are also disadvantages in using DCAL for Delphi. The main one is the lack of any equivalent to the Classic GetMode procedure ... anybody proposing to convert an existing macro that uses GetMode will have a much bigger task. I also note some other disadvantages on my page at (please let me know if you disagree with any of the statements on that page). Mostly I would recommend using DCAL for Delphi, but any potential user needs to be aware of the disadvantages.