The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#9914 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:33 pm
Hello Dave,

The ability of DataCAD to understand the Function Key positions to build a keyboard macro, a toolbar or an alias, is a great help for the skilled user. It is really a great feature. Even so, many users will never dare to put hands on this abilities, and virtually can't benefit from this easy customization tools.

Is there any chance to you and your team, in the near future, to create a 'Macro Learner' which would automate this operations and pehaps allow the final-user to become also a skilled productivity customizer ?

My approach would be to offer a dialog window that could allow the final-user to choose only the sequence of the operations and get the final results, building macros for his particular use. All the backstage and hardcode operation would be made by the engine.

Not a dummy macro recorder. Instead of it, a smart engine that could allow additional abilities according to one's capabilities and knowledge.

Some features that I would expect (not sorted by importance):

• When he chooses a command that would be filled by a value (variable), he could be allowed to choose a 'name' to it, instead of choosing the 'value' itself.
    • When this macro is executed it would stand-by at 'name' point, waiting for the customer input;
    • An history file, analogous to the .LOG already available, could be perhaps the way to allow the customer to edit this macro file for future changes;
    • A variable field, may be a 'stamp alike', could allow to link this macro to some Windows applications like MS Excel for external data feed;

The feasibility and the amount of the challenge, only you can measure it. Please spend some time on it.

Thanks,
Miguel
#9917 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:01 pm
These types of improvements I think would pay for themselves in positive product image in the eyes of would be converts, and old hands alike. I think the main thing is people today expect so much from a program because so many programs build off of other programs ideas, and get built quicker. While I know Dave and co. are carrying a lot of DCAL baggage, and are working on the "important stuff", but these basic windows type of improvments sell because they work good. We have always had the quickness behind us using Datacad, but things were simplier back then too. Now as thing get more complicated, we can't cram all of the goodness of future tools into a few simple Datacad menus, and text files. Dialog boxes, multiple windows, tool pallets and other staples in todays digital creation enviroment need to find their way into our program more. The symbol browser & layer manager are great steps in the right direction. I could go on and on, but you get the point. I hope :?
#10028 by Jsosnowski
Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:59 pm
Re: Macro Recorder

I have not checked recent versions of Datacad, but earlier versions of Datacad could not accomodate your desire to modify keyboard macros on the fly through DCAL

I believe keyboard macros are stored in a macro file which is read into memory when Datacad is started. Therefore, any changes to a macro file will be ingored until the the next time Datacad is started. In addition, adding pauses for user input is not a feature of the current keyboard macro system.

In addition, DCAL does not provide direct access to all options under each item in the menus so such a macro would be of limited value. I think that this issue belongs in the wish list section rather than in in DCAL developer section since it should be addressed in Datacad rather than DCAL.
#10130 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Jsosnowski wrote:I have not checked recent versions of Datacad, but earlier versions of Datacad could not accomodate your desire to modify keyboard macros on the fly through DCAL.

I suspect you are right, Joe. I really didn't say it could. I put it as a set of new features I'd love to see into the DCAL environment.

In addition, adding pauses for user input is not a feature of the current keyboard macro system.

Well, this is precisely what I call as a real enhancement!

I think that this issue belongs in the wish list section rather than in in DCAL developer section since it should be addressed in Datacad rather than DCAL.

Sorry, Joe. I can't agree with this point of view. I believe the future DCAL enhancements, DataCAD 11 buggies that must be fixed, and DataCAD 12 wish items, are all at a same square.
This items above, if put into the 'Wish' list could be misunderstood, as just a magic set of improvement wishes.
That's not my real understanding. I've preferred to expend the thinking with some scratch logic, since everyone can join the route and contribute with steps ahead.
IMHO, we will only see this improvements into DCAL, and with a dramatic enhancement in its abilities to handle the inevitable proximity with the final user.

Thanks,
Miguel