The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#11431 by Jsosnowski
Tue May 09, 2006 11:36 am
Although this forum has been around for a while, it has not been too active. There are a few regulars, but… There could be lots of reasons, but certainly one is that many of the users architects and engineers do not have experience in programming and the learning curve is too great. DCAL presented a large learning curve for serious users and DCAL for Delphi (D4D) is much greater, even though it offers greater capabilities. Another problem, is that there is no comprehensive documentation (Yet). People looking for information on this forum can gleam a few things, but there is little in the way of specific solutions and it is hard to find. If it wasn't for devinder popping up to confirm concepts, it would be even tougher. I am hoping there are other DCAL programmers out there who have been lurking in the corners, who might have parts of the D4D picture, not discussed here yet, as well as having more info on things that have been addressed.

Without formal documentation, I think it might be helpful to begin using this forum as a temporary home for users to collect what we know. This would mean not only posting questions, but also posting things you have learned that could help everyone who is interested get past the basics quicker (Wickipedia for DCAL?). Since there is no moderator, I have introduced several new DDN forum subjects to help this forum serve as a resource. If anyone objects, or has a better idea, let me know.

All topics for the resource begin with D4D. Kindly restrain from starting new topics with this header unless it fits into the overall developer support format.
#11433 by Jsosnowski
Tue May 09, 2006 11:40 am
D4D: Starting a Macro. Information, inquiries, and discussions regarding defining and linking a working macro to DataCad at runtime. Issues could include defining the core macro dll, using Interfacesrecords record types, working with actions, pl, parg, and wanttypes.

D4D: Legacy code conversion to Delphi. Information, inquiries, and discussions regarding rewriting the code. Subjects could include working with Urecords, UInterfaces & Uvariables; what’s missing in the D4D and any work arounds if needed.

D4D: How do I- Discussion area for coding, algorithm issues.

D4D: Code examples. Contributions of code snippets to solve the basics or special problems. Entries could include new classes or controls to deal with interactions with the DataCad / D4D environment.

D4D: Programmers Wishlist. Contribute ideas for modifications, new features and limitations in the DataCad / macro interface.

D4D End Users Wishlist. Contribute ideas that you would like to see working macros perform.

D4D : DCADEXE issues Set-up and operations of the Demo version for D4D developers.

D4D: Community Odds and ends other than coding. iWant := Gossip (whine, &jeez);
#11556 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon May 15, 2006 4:12 pm
Jsosnowski wrote:...Since there is no moderator,...

Fortunately, Devinder is playing this role.
With his great knowledge on the area it will be an enormous help for all of us.

Thanks, Devinder.
Miguel