The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#11471 by Jsosnowski
Wed May 10, 2006 4:09 pm
D4D: Delphi Links. A place to identify links to websites providing resources for programming in Delphi.
Last edited by Jsosnowski on Mon May 15, 2006 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
#34158 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:36 pm
Jsosnowski wrote:...This is an excellent tutorial for basic programming issues in Delphi.

Hi Joe & Devinder,

What would you, DCAL Gurus, suggest for a guy on his late teens, starting a fresh new adult life, to start up a study on programming ? May be in his future to become a helpful DCAL developer.

Thanks,
Miguel
#34162 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:39 pm
Jsosnowski wrote:I ran across this blog by Nick Hodges, one of the Delphi Gurus, entitled "Thirty Camtasias in Thirty Days". This is an excellent tutorial for basic programming issues in Delphi.

http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges/index.php?p=26687
Thanks Joe :!:
#34291 by Jsosnowski
Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:22 am
Miguel Palaoro wrote:
What would you, DCAL Gurus, suggest for a guy on his late teens, starting a fresh new adult life, to start up a study on programming ?....

Thanks,
Miguel

Miguel, Are you speaking for yourself? :) If so then, based on your picture, you are either in your very late teens or life is very hard in Brasil!

I don't really know if the actual language is as important as the concepts. My son is studying programming and there is a lot of Java, C++, C# etc. I think one of the keys is working with .net based languages since most programming in the industry will probably take advantage of remote connection in the future. A lot of the business softweare I use already is connected via internet. I also think it is critical to have a good base in database theory and structure and a working knowledge of SQL (Structured Query Language). The big thing in the future will no doubt be using BIM (Building Information Management), an international (?) effort to establish a common data structure for interlinking all data relating to the built environment into a common system. Ideally the architect would create a 3D model of the building that would be used by the contractors for construction who would add cost and source information, manufacturers would add product and maintenance data, building management would attach rental and operational performance data and all of this would be held in the owner's database with infomration being accessible by other software systems that have need for parts of it. This is pretty cool stuff and I think we will see it begin emerging over the next 10 years.
#34339 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:02 pm
Jsosnowski wrote:...Miguel, Are you speaking for yourself? :) If so then, based on your picture, you are either in your very late teens or life is very hard in Brasil!

:lol: :lol: :lol:. Not actually, Joe. I think in my younger kid, Bruno, who is now at 19, and while in one day talks about to be studying Engineering, in other he wants Computer Science. In my oppinion his choices are now more among byke'ing and girls dating schedules then any other busy thing. 8)

For now I'd actually be satisfied to know only for the basic DCAL development. Where should be targetted the starting efforts ?

Thanks,
Miguel