The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#11813 by Mark F. Madura
Thu May 25, 2006 5:08 pm
Devinder has updated the source code and re-compiled the PSymColors macro. A Layer Search toggle has been added and you can save modified symbols with a new name.

You can download the updated source files from the DDN Open Source Code Exchange page at...

http://www.datacad.com/ddn/source_discl.htm

You can download the re-compiled macro to try here...

http://www.datacad.com/ddn/downloads/psymcolors.zip

Thank You,

MFM
#11814 by joshhuggins
Thu May 25, 2006 7:10 pm
It's a little thing, but it would be nice if Layer Search was at F6 so it matched most of the other menus. Also, maybe add a edit fields option so we can edit the item name and other info if needed.

Should we be picking this macro apart like this for public use or is it mainly for a DDN example? You know me a new toys . . . Image

#11818 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri May 26, 2006 6:58 am
Great Macro!

Congratulations Mark & Devinder. I am sure that it will "deliver the package" for the developers on DDN.

The only thing (there should be one!) is for refreshing original symbol view, after an 'UnDo' it's requiring an 'U' for refreshing Display List.

Thanks for the continuous contribution for DDN Forum. It is working really great, Guys.

Miguel
#11929 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:07 am
Hello,

When I use it, and then close the Toolbox, then reopen the Toolbox -- and I just hit Enter, which should open the macro -- it fails to do so? It "flashes" the dialog box, and I have to mouse-click on the psymcolors.dmx file in the list, in order to open it.
#11966 by WizArtist
Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:48 pm
Is there a way you can use it to update only the selected symbols instead of all of them? There are instances where I would like to say change a toilet symbol to one of my greyscale colors instead of the normal line colors but in another area need the symbol to remain its natural color.
#11967 by Paul Nida
Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:52 pm
After you change the colors, save it as a new symbol. That should allow you to change just one instance. I have't tried it yet but it should work.
#11974 by devinder
Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:06 am
I can confirm this being a bug in DataCAD and not the macro. Any DMX macro will behave this way until a fix is made in DataCAD.

Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello,

When I use it, and then close the Toolbox, then reopen the Toolbox -- and I just hit Enter, which should open the macro -- it fails to do so? It "flashes" the dialog box, and I have to mouse-click on the psymcolors.dmx file in the list, in order to open it.
#12309 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:24 am
Greetings,

The function of this macro should be integrated into the Symbol Browser, IMO. Also, there is a need to be able to rename the layers within an unexploded symbol, as well as editing the grids with the symbol's layers. Maybe these will be part of the v12 Symbol Editor?
#12313 by joshhuggins
Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:59 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:The function of this macro should be integrated into the Symbol Browser, IMO....Maybe these will be part of the v12 Symbol Editor?

I agree with Neil here. It could become such a standard tool & very usefull when working with importing symbols/drawing from other programs.
#12315 by Graeme
Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:10 pm
Something else that may be kind of handy would be to be able to change just the symbol in the drawing and not update the symbol on the disk. There is an option to tick if you want it to update the symbol on the drive but, it seems to update the symbol on the disk regardless if it is on or off.

Hope that makes sense
#12317 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:37 pm
Hello,

Graeme, I think you are seeing the SB showing the version that is in the drawing header? If you open a new file, the original version would be shown.

Another thing that I noticed: since updating the symbols with new colors and saving it to the disk creates a DSF with the same name as the SM3, then you only see the DSF; even though the SM3 still exists. Is this because the DSF is newer, or it is given "preference" by the SB?
#12353 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:55 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:...since updating the symbols with new colors and saving it to the disk creates a DSF with the same name as the SM3, then you only see the DSF; even though the SM3 still exists.

By my understanding, Symbol Browser takes care only of .DSF files. SM3 are used exclusively to generate the new format symbols, once you enter at the template folder and only by the 'first' time. SB makes no change over SM3 itself.

If you would try to 'recreate' the DSF file, over the 'old' SM3 it wouldn't do it.
SM3 files are kept intact, and you can recreate DSF files [from the originals] if you rebuild a new folder structure with the original SM3 files in 'other' place.

Thanks,
Miguel