The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#12947 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:41 am
I know Spirit which was a spin off of Datacad Plus was using BDE, but I think they are moving away from a database system with v.14. I think a part of the problems that spawned from the Datacad Plus system had something to do with different view points on databases. I seem to remember the Spirit people thinking a database system was the way to go, where Datacad thought that the program shouldn't rely on a database system. I don't know any of the details, but that's the gist I got from the messages I read. Funny how now they are moving away from the databases. Looks like Datacad was right all along :D It's just to bad that they have stuff to show for it and we don't (yet) :cry:
#12954 by Jsosnowski
Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:34 am
Josh's response makes mention of Spirit and DataCad Plus. I was not "using" during that period and do not know the history. Can any0one add anything about their differences from DataCad? Were these attempts to expand the data capbilities of Datacad? If Spirit was using BDE, what problems or limitation did it have that should be considered in a future attempts to interact with a database?

Josh also states that it looks like DataCad was right to exclude separate Databases, but in examining Datacad's ability to store supplemental information, the tools are quite limited. I do find refences in interface declarations to a potential data storage type, but it looks like a remnant of an undeveloped idea rather than a potential developer's tool for data storage within the drawing files.

The need for independent databases arises from the limited flexibility to extend Datacad functionallity either by creating new entitiy types with extended behaviours or storing data in manipulating or retriving it as one could using a database. I have always found it interesting that the program is named DATAcad, but has not exploited the competitive advantage data management could offer more.
#12964 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:29 am
Don't take my word on this topic as facts, it's just what I remember hearing around. I know the gals & gals at Datacad are probably busy, but Dave G. and his gang are the ones who you need to get the this important info. from. I would have thought they would have given you a little more direct method of contact since getting others to program was one of the reasons for the move to Delphi, so plugins and such could be written by 3rd parties with more ease.

As for the history of Datacad/Spirit, that would take more time than I have to give this morning, sorry. Try searching the DBUG :wink: (Thanks Neil) archives for Datacad Plus & Spirit. They have been talked about a lot there, and would be a great place to get familiar with what Datacad users have been dealing with / asking for over a long period of time.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
#12968 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:46 pm
That's true, an open forum does provide the widest range of information for all to share. Just wish for your guys sake, Dave and team had more time to give you a little more direction, but totaly understand what posisition they are in with a release dead line creapping ever closer. (insert creapy slow heartbeat sound here)
#12969 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:46 pm
Jsosnowski wrote:...I have always found it interesting that the program is named DATAcad, but has not exploited the competitive advantage data management could offer more.

May be this 'accidental' phonetic name would be a foresight of what the future would be reserving for DataCAD's second half of life.
Now is the chance to get it done and make it trully real.
Let Dave G. put his fingers around here guys...

I'm patient...

Thanks,
Miguel
#12995 by Jacques Lioret
Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:36 am
With Delphi 7, I am using TurboPower FlashFiler DataBase.
FlashFiler is an open-source client-server database for Borland Delphi. It features a component-based architecture & the server engine can be embedded in your applications. FlashFiler is easy to configure, performs well, & includes SQL support and it's FREE.

You can free download at http :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpflashfiler/

Regards 8)
Jacques Lioret
Architecte D.P.L.G.
ABACAD'Owner
DataCAD French Translator and Distributor since version 4 (1990)