The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#13324 by solid
Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:18 pm
Hi All,

I am a AutoCAD developer with little knowledge of DataCAD. I need to export this type of drawing to dxf/dwg. Only problem is the text does not come through in the dxf/dwg, just the plines.

Could someome tell me if this is possible. If not directly I would obviously pay someones fee to help me with a solution.

I didn't know how to attach a drawing, so I posted it here.
http://www.richcad.com/DataCAD/

I appreciate all ideas.

Thank you,
Paul
#13326 by solid
Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:25 pm
solid wrote:Hi All,

I am a AutoCAD developer with little knowledge of DataCAD. I need to export this type of drawing to dxf/dwg. Only problem is the text does not come through in the dxf/dwg, just the plines.

Could someome tell me if this is possible. If not directly I would obviously pay someones fee to help me with a solution.

I didn't know how to attach a drawing, so I posted it here.
http://www.richcad.com/DataCAD/

I appreciate all ideas.

Thank you,
Paul

PS, If anyone is skeptical of the file from an unknown poster, please see
any of the AutoCAD groups, you'll find I'm know well there.
http://discussion.autodesk.com/search.j ... umlist%7C8

Thank again for your time,
Paul
#13327 by joshhuggins
Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:30 pm
The text in that Datacad file is actually polylines, not text. Have to check with whoever gave you that file and see how and why they created that text using a polyline. This was probably not originally created in Datacad. Are you trying to create a AEC viewer/converter?
#13328 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:49 pm
Hello Paul and Josh,

May be this drawing was created in an AutoCAD application, with text attributes, and when exported it came attached as a single polyline.

I've tested here and could explode it to 3D lines, and the text itself converts into a bunch of 3d lines, but keeps viewed in the screen.

Differently, as a polyline, when converted back to 2d lines the text is vanished.

If the original creator 'un'attaches the text from the rectangle it perhaps could be translated correctly. I hope.

Thanks,
Miguel
#13329 by solid
Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:50 pm
joshhuggins wrote:The text in that Datacad file is actually polylines, not text. Have to check with whoever gave you that file and see how and why they created that text using a polyline. This was probably not originally created in Datacad. Are you trying to create a AEC viewer/converter?

The data is created by a program running in DataCAD. Funny the plines
that make up the text do not come through in dxf/dwg. Just the rectangular plines. Looks like I'm sol, it was written many years ago (dc5) and I don't have contact with the Author.

Thanks for your help.
Paul
#13330 by solid
Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:55 pm
Miguel Palaoro wrote:Hello Paul and Josh,

May be this drawing was created in an AutoCAD application, with text attributes, and when exported it came attached as a single polyline.

I've tested here and could explode it to 3D lines, and the text itself converts into a bunch of 3d lines, but keeps viewed in the screen.

Differently, as a polyline, when converted back to 2d lines the text is vanished.

If the original creator 'un'attaches the text from the rectangle it perhaps could be translated correctly. I hope.

Thanks,
Miguel

Thanks, I was wondering why I couldn't explode the data somehow. This is ugly. There are hundreds of these per drawing and thousands of drawings. OUCH.

Cheers,
Paul
#13332 by joshhuggins
Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:20 pm
Do you know the name of the program? (probably a macro) Someone might have a work around. Do you have the original DC5 file?
#13333 by solid
Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:36 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Do you know the name of the program? (probably a macro) Someone might have a work around. Do you have the original DC5 file?

It was a custom program. I don't even know what language it's in. I will get a copy of it on Monday morning. Just tried their office and everyone is gone.

Thank you Gentlemen!

Paul
#13340 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:54 pm
I'd like to put my eyes on the original .DC5 too, if available, of course.

Thanks,
Miguel
#13385 by solid
Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:33 pm
Miguel Palaoro wrote:I'd like to put my eyes on the original .DC5 too, if available, of course.

Thanks,
Miguel

Gentlemen, Thank you all for your time. I was denied permission to
post an actual drawing.

I will instead dig into the code, myself and post necessary portions.
Don't even know were the code is, as someone here mentioned probably
in a macro, inbeded in the drawing?

As soon as I find it, I will post the necessary chunks to see if you can help. Were macros the only way to go with dc5, what language.

Again Thank you,

Paul