The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#22663 by Ben at TJB Architects
Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:51 pm
First and foremost, I love this post...wish I had seen it months ago.

- All professional CAD users may have different and specific needs no single CAD product can entirely cover and satisfy, if not conveniently equipped with specific add-ons.
- All professional CAD users are too busy with their specific trade to be effectively productive also in CAD add-ons programming.

I could not possibly agree more.

- I intend to solicit professional CAD users to submit possibly special needs: I'll be happy to verify whether I can be of any help. No money involved up to the first working prototype, included. Only sound ideas and facts.

The single most glaring omission from the otherwise very anticipated release of DataCAD 12 is the complete lack of a roof tool.
I have heard zip, zilch, nada on the plans for one because of the concentration on Smart Walls (needed for a roof tool to work anyways), Doors, and Windows.
I have several ideas of what a roof tool should be...one being that DataCAD should as soon as possible after v12 release begin work on a basic Smart Roof Tool to get the plate heights, pitches, and intersections modeled.
After that...the possibilities for an Add-On program to attach fascias, soffits, rakes, trims, vents, sheathing, gutter, etc. would seem to be there for the implementing.

I got a ton of things I would like to see a developer add to DataCAD...but I won't throw anymore out tonight.
#24231 by ticomccr
Fri May 18, 2007 10:59 am
Ben at TJB Architects wrote:The single most glaring omission from the otherwise very anticipated release of DataCAD 12 is the complete lack of a roof tool.

I COMPLETELY agree!!!!!!!!!

I have to admit that I would be happy enough at this point to have something like Roofit (I can hear others groaning right now) if it could have a couple of upgrades:

1. A different thickness for the roof framing and the overhangs, gable end especially. I often have a cathedral ceiling (2x12's for insulation requirements) but only want 2x4's with 6" nominal fascia at the overhangs.

2. The ability to insert dormers and skylights and have the roof "know" that is needs an opening in it.

3. Have a roof "cleanup" at the intersection of another roof if you have sloped ceilings.

4. Have the ability to model the roof with a flat ceiling inside such as when using simple trusses. (This one is not nearly as critical but would be nice).

I didn't much care for or use the roof tool in DCPlus for a number of reasons. The biggest ones being that the setting inputs were not at all for how a roof would be built. It didn't ask for plate height but wanted to know the eave height or out height. It also didn't help that the roof pitch had to be entered as an angle, not a rise over run as we use here in the States (one of many vestiges of the program being German\European I suppose).

I think that Roofit is simple and easy to use and could serve as a good base to work from. I've tried all of the other methods that some of the other DBUGGERS seem to swear by and never really took to them myself. But with some serious thought, I'm sure that something even better could be developed.

Just my 2 cents.
#24245 by Ben at TJB Architects
Fri May 18, 2007 12:33 pm
Yes, since my last post there does seem to be indication that a Smart Roof is on the way.
I wonder if that is something that we could BETA test before it is released?
I would like to have some input as to what constitutes "smart" if the guys are willing to share what the concept for the tool is before they get too far into development.
#24247 by ticomccr
Fri May 18, 2007 12:44 pm
Hear, Hear. I'd love to know the approach they are taking and to offer my 2 cents worth as well. The new roof tool will be an important new development, for sure.
#27876 by dmdeal
Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:58 pm
Ben at TJB Architects wrote:Yes, since my last post there does seem to be indication that a Smart Roof is on the way.
I would like to have some input as to what constitutes "smart" if the guys are willing to share what the concept for the tool is before they get too far into development.

I can't believe that Roofit hasn't evolved since it was first delivered. I wrote a macro called "Roofer" for DataCAD before "Roofit" ever came out. It was so well received by everybody, that even the DataCAD people used it to draw their roofs when doing a demo of their package at shows. There was talk of purchasing it from me, but after showing them how things worked, they delivered their own version called "Roofit". It is almost an exact copy. Same roof types, same methods ... etc . It almost seems that they took my code and decompiled it (since they developed the DCAL compiler) and copied it. If they had not done to me what they did, you would have had the options you talk about and many more. But after that I just packed away my code and quit selling DataCAD. If they haven't developed anything since then, I wouldn't look for new roof stuff anytime soon.
#27887 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:48 am
Ben at TJB Architects wrote:Yes, since my last post there does seem to be indication that a Smart Roof is on the way.

IMHO, a smart roofing tool should start by merging Roof-it and Frame-it (in its roofing options), plus:
1. A way to handle panes intersections;
2. Handle different panes that are in different levels and don't intersect each other, but should be handled as integrated;
3. Following smart window type manager's 2D Options, a way to set ON/OFF what of the structure should be shown in 2D drawing, including handling of linetype, spacing, color, etc.

Thanks,
Miguel