The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#45582 by rod_walker
Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:58 am
Sorry JimCricket,
the statement:
'The version in Datacad 10/11 did not work. Apparently he was the first person to actually test the various functions and find the many errors.'

The old Classic DCAl does work and does not contain many errors. To say Pietro was the first person to test it is completely wrong and is an insult to the many people who have developed programs using DCAL. The old manual is excellent. Unfortunately this was not duplicated in DCAL for Delphi.

Rod Walker
#45591 by Jsosnowski
Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:53 pm
rod_walker wrote:The version in Datacad 10/11 did not work. Apparently he was the first person to actually test the various functions and find the many errors.

The old Classic DCAl does work and does not contain many errors. To say Pietro was the first person to test it is completely wrong and is an insult to the many people who have developed programs using DCAL. The old manual is excellent. Unfortunately this was not duplicated in DCAL for Delphi.

The quote you object to above is from my post earlier in this thread. I was referring to DCAL for Delphi, Pietro did a lot of work and did uncover that the original was incomplete and not functional. I agree regarding the original product working and meant no offense. In fact I wrote quite a few programs using DCAL and still do occasionally.

I'd love to hear how others use DCAL
#45675 by Joseph Baron
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 am
I have to admit it has been a long time since I checked this forum, but I've been programming in DCAL for the past several weeks, updating and adding to a system that I had started building/programming back in 1992.

In 2009 I spent about 302 of my work hours in DCAL, the pattern has been about every 6 months or so I get back into to continue adding to our production.

So yes, I use DCAL.
#45681 by Joseph Baron
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10 pm
DCAL for DataCAD 10.05.04, so DOS.
#45706 by Dave
Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:36 pm
JimCricket wrote: - The Disc Operating System—DOS is obsolete since more than thirty years. Now, what kind of “bridge” tool have you adopted so to handle DOS-DCAL in a modern Windows environment?

I am still maintaining a DOS system for some clients that was first written in the mid 90's. I do my programing on an XPPro machine, I use Ultraedit to modify the source code then compile it in a dos window. The client has it running on toward 100 XP Workstations, Server NT, SBS2003 and SBS2008. We have it running on a windows7 box for another client. The only problem we have found so far is the rebuild did not work on windows7 but we may be able to get it too.

Why are they still using a DOS program..... cause it works.
#46059 by Joseph Baron
Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:35 pm
JimCricket:

Why not just tell us about what you're hinting at?
#46177 by Joseph Baron
Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:11 pm
JimCricket wrote: -- I've, presumably, found a valid solution to this DOS-DCAL obsolescence problem. A solution that I'd love to share with whomever would bother to ask me.-

OK, I'll bite. What is it?

What can it do to improve developing DCAL programs?