Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#81432 by Joseph Baron
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:44 pm
I've been consistently running into 'difficulties' when importing AutoCAD DWG files into DataCAD 22.

I'm hoping that somebody somewhere has a compiled list of do's & don'ts when it comes to working with AutoCAD DWG's in the latest version of DataCAD. There may be such a document somewhere in here but if there's not maybe 'collectively' one could be compiled?

Currently I'm looking for the answer to this nugget. These callouts are symbols in DataCAD, and only when I IDENTIFY a symbol does the callout text appear. If I explode the symbol, the text disappears.

Does anyone know how to get the callout text to appear in all AutoCAD imported symbols?
Attachments
AutoCAD Import Symbol text does not display.jpg
#81434 by joshhuggins
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:34 pm
Joseph Baron wrote:I've been consistently running into 'difficulties' when importing AutoCAD DWG files into DataCAD 22.

I'm hoping that somebody somewhere has a compiled list of do's & don'ts when it comes to working with AutoCAD DWG's in the latest version of DataCAD. There may be such a document somewhere in here but if there's not maybe 'collectively' one could be compiled?

Currently I'm looking for the answer to this nugget. These callouts are symbols in DataCAD, and only when I IDENTIFY a symbol does the callout text appear. If I explode the symbol, the text disappears.

Does anyone know how to get the callout text to appear in all AutoCAD imported symbols?

Couple things that come to my mind first would be
- Check to see if View, Knockouts, Compatibility Mode is checked.
- Have you opened the symbol in the symbol editor to check the entity display / layer order and what entities have knockouts?
- Try a repair on the file?
- Try importing the file into a new blank file?
- If you copy the symbol and paste it into a new drawing, does the issue still happen?
#81435 by MtnArch
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:02 pm
A couple of things to be aware of/check (if you don't know yet):
- The missing info may be on a layer that is hidden/frozen/turned off - DIFFERENT than what the symbol may have been saved on (ie. the symbol is on WALL but the info is on WALL-ATT)
- The missing info may be an Attribute in Acad that you may not find until you explode it, BUT .. it may be VERY tiny (ie. if at 1/8" it may be 1/96th of what you're expecting) - also similar to above it the symbol may be on WALL but the attribute info may be on "O" (zero)
- The missing info may be buried two/three/forty layers deep in the Acad symbol. This was a common trick long ago to keep someone from using your symbol or drawing by burying it via multiple block definitions so deep you'd give up on it. Also, it was common to scale things a few decimal points one way (ie. "X" or "Y") or multiple ways (one for "X" and a different one for "Y") so that it would never scale right unless you drilled ALL the way down to the basic entities.
#81436 by Mark Bell
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:06 am
I've experienced this myself, but can recall how I got around it. It might be related to the knockouts /Compatibility Mode?? An option you might consider is to use Symbol/Replace with a DataCAD symbol and then enter the correct text? Have you tried a test print to see if they are visible, with or without Knockout on/off?
#81439 by Joseph Baron
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:12 am
joshhuggins wrote:Couple things that come to my mind first would be
- Check to see if View, Knockouts, Compatibility Mode is checked.

Josh & Mark win the internet again today!

Man, so very close, compatibility mode was on, toggling it off made no difference, then I turned KnockOut Display off and the callout text appeared.

THANK YOU!

I appreciate everyones response.
Attachments
DataCAD 22 Knockout Display.jpg
DataCAD 22 Knockout Display.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 6495 times
#81440 by Joseph Baron
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:18 am
I will certainly make notes from all this info from Josh, Mark, & MtnArch to rely on when working with AutoCAD DWG files.

Again, thank you all for the help.