Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#3569 by Rudy Smolders
Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:47 pm
maybe this topic has come up before, but I ask anyway. Sometimes (not always) when I import dwg-files from engineers all fonts go funny. I can't change them. I know in other CAD programmes the same file causes no problem. Does anyway know why this is and is there a something one can do about it?
#3570 by Tony Blasio
Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:58 am
This is only a guess, but....

I tend to notice this more when using the Enlargement function of the Translator Dialogue.

Is this soemething you are doing?
#3581 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:45 am
Rudy Smolders wrote:...when I import dwg-files from engineers all fonts go funny. I can't change them.

Hello Rudy,

Try to put it in the quick layout and a Preview to Print and look at it in the Preview Window.
The fonts look good or bad ?

If they are good, your file is too far from the 'absolute origin'.
So you got two solutions:

1) If possible, move all the drawing contents to near the absolute origin;
2) Prepare your drawing sheet and print it as it is today. The print will be fine. The display of the fonts is that will not be so nice while you are working on it.

DataCAD still has the display list engine in single precision. There are plans for turn it into a new engine with double precision for DataCAD 12.

Thanks,
Miguel

P.S.: If fonts are bad in the Print Preview I would need to search some more on this.
#3583 by MtnArch
Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:13 am
Rudy -

This could be caused by Acad if the engineer is using a specific add-on package that creates Proxy objects. I have also seen this happen with translations to DWG from a Microstation drawing.

I would request the engineer "dumb-down" the file to a lower DWG compatible format.
#3595 by Rudy Smolders
Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:50 pm
Thank you all for your responses. With your help I found a solution to this problem. When importing a dwg file I need to check at the bottom of the DWG Import Entity Assignments dialog box the "move drawing to origin" box. Then the drawing comes out fine. So simple. :D