Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#50238 by gfinn
Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:20 pm
I dont know what it is about Acad users, but they seem to like to create a new drawing file for each drawing. That's kind of boring when it comes to printing I reckon.

So I open a DWG file in datacad... I delete the superfluous layers... then I "import" my next DWG file... bugger! The layer names are the same... and everything is scrambled together.

How do I avoid this issue?

Hugs
Gaz
#50239 by gfinn
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 pm
One file instead of 100+ is desired.

Gaz
Last edited by gfinn on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#50240 by Nick Pyner
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:17 pm
I think this is one for xrefs.

Convert each DWG to a separate AEC file, sanitising it as required.

Start a new AEC and ring in the ACad stuff as AEC Xrefs.

Each xref now serves as the basis for a kosher DataCad GTV. It also keeps their stuff separately identifiable from your masterpiece, and also prevents contamination.
#50243 by gfinn
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:31 pm
Hey thanks Nick.
Good to see you're still about!

I am trying to avoid x-ref .... these need to be sent via email between my staff. Too many versions of the one thing getting around... you know the problem!

Gaz
#50247 by MtnArch
Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 pm
Gaz -

Why do you want to avoid the xref's? Are your staff located off-site where you don't have a central server for the files?

If you're trying to get one, big Mama file that has ALL entities in it, I think I can get it - but if you're e-mailing the single Mama file around wouldn't that create an issue if it blows up along the way? :?

Just wondering so I can wrap my head around what you need to do ...
#50248 by gfinn
Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:13 pm
There are 100 or so little DWG files... one kitchen in each... and progress since this morning is that they are now little AEC files... so if I could import the layers without having to rename them... that might work... but saving layers out of each and then importing them set by set is also tedious.

I know x-ref has its uses... but without x-ref.... It would be one regular sized AEC file with those little files all imported for easier bulk editing...... and while sending to and from my team mate via email .. we are sending jsut one file.. instead of sending back and forth any number of the little files ..... It is just easier to control where the latest file is located.

One file.. one person working on the file.. in my setup there are usually only two people involved.

Hugs
Gaz
#50249 by gfinn
Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:52 pm
I have a microstation file in which 100+ kitchens have been drawn by someone else. These need to be modified and developed up by us... but we use Datacad.

The microstation file has been x-ref'd into 100+ smaller files I guess mostly for printing purposes.

Datacad cannot use the Master file as it is not set up for printing.

Datacad will not import the individual little Cad files, even in dwg format, as there are problems with the x-ref elements, scaling, text, dimensions etc

I exported out of Microstation into individual DWG files merging the cropped x-ref drawing.

Now Im trying to import the individual drawings into Datacad.

I can obviously do one aec file per drawing.. but that is rediculous. I can x-ref them in also, but that doesnt make it easy to edit them.

Once I've worked out how to do the kitchens, I will do the bathrooms and the plans!

You can see it will take weeks unless there is a shortcut!

Gaz
#50252 by Roger D
Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:46 am
gfinn wrote:I am trying to avoid x-ref .... these need to be sent via email between my staff. Too many versions of the one thing getting around... you know the problem!

Have you looked into the Pak-n-Go in the File Menu. Might allow you to send all the files and not have problems.
#50257 by Roger D
Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:43 am
gfinn wrote:So I open a DWG file in datacad... I delete the superfluous layers... then I "import" my next DWG file... bugger! The layer names are the same... and everything is scrambled together.
How do I avoid this issue?

If what is happening that all the drawings when they come in are on top of each other, I'd import one, move xx' over, import, move everything over xx'. Do this 10 times, then move the whole group of 10 up yy', and continue on.
Then you will get all 100 in the same drawings.

or, if the layer names are a similar, as if they are 123abc, you could use the Rename macro to change 1????? to 2?????? or whatever combination works.

http://www.datacad.com/ddn/source.htm
Rename
Source code to accompany the DCAL tutorial Lesson 6. This macro will search and replace a string within all the layer names in your drawing. Refer to the tutorial for more information including some warnings about its use.

It has both the compiled macro and the source code.
#50269 by gfinn
Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:57 pm
Roger D wrote:If what is happening that all the drawings when they come in are on top of each other, I'd import one, move xx' over, import, move everything over xx'. Do this 10 times, then move the whole group of 10 up yy', and continue on.
Then you will get all 100 in the same drawings.

Thanks, however, it's a glitch in Datacad V12, I think.
It will import the file and it imports all teh new layers even though the names are the same.. but it dumps the entities on the existing layers if they are named the same. What I end up with is new entities on the existing layers... jumbled up with the existing entities. They are persistently difficult to "move" without shifting existing entities that lie underneath them on the same layer.
#50270 by gfinn
Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:04 pm
Roger D wrote:
gfinn wrote:I am trying to avoid x-ref .... these need to be sent via email between my staff. Too many versions of the one thing getting around... you know the problem!

Have you looked into the Pak-n-Go in the File Menu. Might allow you to send all the files and not have problems.

I haven't tried pack and go, ever. It just seems to pack the file you are working in... does it pack all of the x-ref'd files too or just the images of them that a nested into the file you are packing?

We need to edit the x-ref's documents, much of which can be done systematically... you know... apply hatching in batches... it would be easier if we didn't have 100+ windows open at a time.

This problem has arisen it seems, only by reason that Datacad can't import the original DWG files cleanly. Maybe I should revisit that.
#50274 by Nick Pyner
Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:29 pm
I still think this is one for Xrefs. Pak 'n' go is a file management procedure rather than a compilation procedure.

I was going to say I don't think this is a glitch in DataCad, the problem is back with the sender. On reflection, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the option to dump to existing or have a new renamed layer e.g. find bench but dump to bench(1).

Using xrefs saves sorting the layers bout for GTVs tho.
#50280 by gfinn
Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:19 pm
I tried the layer rename macro.
The layers are presently randomly named, so a search string seems impossible... I tried leaving search blank... I tried *. It might have worked out otherwise.

I am going to have to go with the x-ref option. I am reluctant Nick because I have to.. e.g. modify the dimensions font... on around 100+ separate drawings... individually... instead of in one sweep. I better make a start, I guess.

Gaz