Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#4664 by Suzannaski
Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:35 am
Hi
Forgive me if this has already been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to import anything newer than ACAD 14 DWG files. Some of my consultants/engineers etc. can't send anything older than ACAD 2000, but I crash right out of those.
What am I doing wrong? Or is it a flaw in DCAD?
I have DCAD 11.07.00
I downloaded a free trial of intellicad for 30 days to avoid the issue, but the trial period is over :(
Thanks for any help!
Susan
#4667 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:36 am
Try unchecking some of the import options before importing. I have had to uncheck the color mapping and move to origin for some 2005 files.
#4674 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:22 pm
Hello Susan,

Are they "exploding" any proprietary entities that they may be creating with an overlay program; like Architectural Desktop, or a surveyors program? As Josh mentions, sometimes the "Move to Origin" option helps, and sometimes it hurts.
#4675 by Suzannaski
Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:59 pm
Hi guys-
I don't always have contact with the drafter, but I do know the ones that have problems are the newer ACAD files. As I mentioned, The newer versions will only save as far back as 2000.
I don't know about proprietary entities; there is one guy I can ask.
As for unchecking everything, I did as described, but no luck.
Any other suggestions?
Susan
PS-Nice to hear from you again, Neil! :D
#4681 by Suzannaski
Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:55 am
Hi again
The drafter of one of my problem files wrote back:
"I’m using AutoCAD Lt. 2005. This as far as I know doesn’t contain any third party software. I do however explode my borders because I have them saved as a block. I put the border into the drawing and explode it so I can add the client information. I haven’t had anyone else have a problem with my files though. "
Does this help?
FYI- I also tried opening it in DCAD10, no luck
#4753 by Suzannaski
Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:50 am
Hi Neil-
Hope your presentation went well. I sent the file to Datacad as you suggested and Mark found the problem:

"The problem is related to 54 lines in the drawing that are extremely
long - somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5826E+99 feet in length. 30
of these lines are on the layer "A-GLAZ-ELEV-FRAME" and another 24 are
on the layer "A-GLAZ-ELEV-GRILLE."

Unfortunately, there is no way to find out if that is the problem unless the sender can check the drawing. But I hope this at least helps others with similar importing issues!
#4755 by Nick Pyner
Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:34 pm
Keep on scrolling.............
I haven't worked it out precisely but I reckon a line that long reaches to the next galaxy. And you thought it was a DataCad problem.