Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#5735 by Ted B
Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:34 pm
I'm considering shopping-out the drafting for a project to an drafting-house that does their work in AutoCad 2004. My concern is that the final documents will be delivered to my office as .dwg-files with their 2D and 3D drafting intact, along with the nested Xrefs, etc...that I would like to retain intact. But I need to be able to go into the master drawings, or atleast the titleblocks, to address titleblock issues like my firm's name, issue dates and digital signatures. The final construction documents will be issued as .pdf's, but the AutoCad .dwg drawings must remain intact and editable.

Can I safely do this with DataCad ver.11, or am I going to need to consider the expense of buying and installing AutoCad 2005 on one of my workstations...just for this job?
While DataCad affect the formatting and the AutoCad's 'sheet manager'?

The client requested that I use this drafting-house since the drafting-house is familiar with the client's drafting standards and digital-publishing requirements. They will do the drafting for me as a sub-contractor; but the client will reimburse them for the work. (They do a lot of drafting work for the client, in addition to this project.) I want to be sure that I will not destroy the drawings files usefulness...and that I retain control of the title-block portion of the drawings.

We will be using .Dwf Composer for redlines and review/coordination. And issuing the actual field and record drawings in .Pdf-format at 36x24" and 17X11"-only. The final .Dwg drawings go into the files, until they need to be re-issed or revised again.

Any thoughts??
#5746 by Nick Pyner
Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:23 pm
#5750 by MtnArch
Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:13 pm