Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#5887 by artmanvt2000
Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:36 am
When we convert a Datacad file that has hatching to an Autocad file the file size is HUGE. If we remove the hatch and convert to Autocad the file size is normal. What gives... We have never had a problem with the files with hatching being so big. I am curious if anyone has a fix for this. Thank you to all that can help.
#5897 by Philip Hart
Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:44 am
Arthur - Are the hatches Associative or "old style"? Associative hatches should export to dwg as polylines (single entities) with the hatching as an attribute = small files. "Old style" hatching will export as individual lines = large files.
#5909 by devinder
Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:11 pm
A couple of reasons why:
1. You are using StoneCAD hatch patterns. If you DataCAD has N-numbers of hatch patterns the pattern definition is stored only once. In DWG this is stored per entity and thus N pattern definitions in file.

2. You are exporting to release 12 format which does not support associative hatch patterns, hence they are individual line segments. A combination with StoneCAD pattern will create monstrous files.

3. As mentioned by others you could be writing to DXF and DWG is the way to go.
#5910 by artmanvt2000
Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:31 pm
devinder,
I think you are right. We are having the problem with all hatches and we do save as R12. I have tried exporting the same file and the size went from 5.5 meg to 1.8 meg, which is a great help when most mail servers only allow attachment up to 5 megs.