Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#6947 by jscarch
Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:43 pm
I have had this come up every time I export files to .dwg. The Autocad file has layer names that were not in the original file. When I go to delete these weird layers a dialog box comes up with "The selected layer was not deleted. The following layers cannot be deleted: Layers O and Defpoints, The current layer, Xref-dependent layers, Layers containing objects.

Does anyone know what's going on and how do I get rid of these strange layers?
#6960 by joshhuggins
Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:27 pm
These are standard layers in Autocad files. I don't remember exactly what they do, but they are kinda of a temp area for holding technical & symbol information the drawings need. I don' think there is a way to get rid of them, but I could be wrong. I'm sure a more frequent Autocad user could chime in.
#7035 by jscarch
Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:01 pm
The automatic layers in AutoCad as far as I know are 0 and Defpoints. I am getting layers from like past jobs or something. For example I will get a layer named NWALLS (a typical layer for new walls for an addition) when it is a new project without that layer name.
#7039 by MtnArch
Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:44 pm
I'll jump in and try this one:

Yes, Acad normally requires at least layer "0" (kind of like DC's "Layer01"), and for dimensions you must have Defpoints (where the "real" dimension points reside).

Here's my best guess at the problem:
Drawing started in Acad - An existing drawing was opened and SavedAs a new drawing, then all entities were deleted/erased. A Purge was not done and the symbol (and underlying associated layer(s)) is still present in the drawing database. Another problem may be if it was done with a 3rd-party package, like Arch-T, that embeds numerous things into a layer that is difficult - if not impossible - to delete.

Drawing started in Dcad - For some reason the layer(s) were/are present in the default .AEC (or .DC5) file and is "coming along for the ride".

Have you tried taking it out through DXF? This seems to strip away some of the extra "fluff" that makes it's way into Acad files.
#7059 by Jon C. Hubart
Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:05 am
The problem is likely that you have symbols inserted in the file that were created with layers. When these symbols are transfered to autocad the layers associated with the un-exploded symbol show up in the autocad layers list. The same occurs with x-refs. Try going into DataCAD and exploding all of your symbols, in the file in question, to their original layers. You should end up with the same new layers in DataCAD as you see in autocad.

Jon