Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#6950 by Heinrich
Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:21 pm
One of our engineers uses Building Systems 2006 with the Ductwork Package. When he sends us the drawing DataCAD is having a problem translating them correctly. There's not an error message, but allot of the drawing entities just don't show up. I had him send it to us as a PDF just so I could print it, but I would like a way to open it in DataCAD so I can make slight changes w/o having to send it back and forth. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Thanks guys.

-Redd
#6951 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:29 pm
Hello Redd,

It is probably is the same as any other "overlay" program for AutoCAD -- he will have to explode the proprietary entities so they actually will exist in the DWG! Because, if you were to open the files he has been giving you in AutoCAD or IntelliCAD or whatever -- those entities would not be there.

So, it is not DataCAD's fault -- the entites are not supported in the DWG format; and they have to be exploded before the export process.
#6953 by Heinrich
Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:01 pm
Thanks Neil.
I'll have him try that and see what we get.

-Redd
#6997 by artmanvt2000
Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:17 am
I have found with a lot of Autocad addons, suchas the mechanical and civil addons you need to have the engineer either save the file as a release 12 format or explode the proxy objects to polylines. I find by saving to a release 12 format it converts the proxy objects to lines which datacad will read.
#7014 by wolverine
Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:26 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:So, it is not DataCAD's fault -- the entites are not supported in the DWG format; and they have to be exploded before the export process.

This has been a source of frustration for me for years!
I will most definately request future Acad drawings sent to me
be exploded.
Thanks!