Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#11067 by lmlowery
Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:32 am
Our engineering consultants use AutoCAD. On some drawings (but not all) that we get back from them and import back into DataCAD, any text THEY added gets shifted to the left. On a structurally complex drawing, it is often impossible to get it all straightened out. Anybody have any idea what could be happening? They say their file looks fine when they open it in AutoCAD.
#11075 by MtnArch
Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:32 pm
What version of Dcad are you using? From what I've seen the this occurs when you are using V10 AND they have used MTEXT in Acad. I've had fairly good success with Acad drawings that use MTEXT importing into V11.
#11077 by lmlowery
Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:42 pm
I am using V11. What is so frustrating is that this only happens on one out of ten or so drawings I get back from our engineer. They can not find the common denominator and neither can I. It would almost seem like a random occurence, but I know it is some setting that inadvertenly gets changed from time to time. We just can't figure out what it is. I had them down save the .dwg file and that didn't work either.
#11086 by Martell
Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:30 pm
Is it possible to send me such a DWG drawing?
It is the easiest way to find out where the problem is.

Martell
#11097 by MtnArch
Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:29 am
I'd be happy to look at it too if you'll send it to me. I've helped out a few other users figure out what the issues where (usually on the Acad end of things).
#11101 by Paul Heller
Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:34 pm
When Datacad imports text it seems to give all text the left justification.

The problem is that text in an mtext block will all be justified to the left side of that text block.

If you explode the block into simple text the text will not appear to move despite the re-justification done by Datacad. The one catch I found was that if you are using two different fonts in the separate applications the alignment may be off because of the difference in letter width from one font to the next; so it's best to use the same font in both applications, or at least ones which are very similar in their letter size.
#22191 by lmlowery
Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:05 pm
We continue to have this problem with the engineer's structural notes being shifted to the left and even completely out of line with where it is supposed to be. A couple of you had offered to take a look at a file for me when I first brought this issue to the board. If any of you are still willing to do that I would appreciate it. We were having the eng. print out hard copies of the structural sheets but that is not really working for well for us. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!
#22212 by MtnArch
Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:22 pm
I'm still game ... send it on! PM me and I'll pass along my e-mail address to you.
#22213 by MtnArch
Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:23 pm
D'oh!! Forgot my e-mail is in my signature!!! :oops: