Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#13681 by bsmall
Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:51 am
At the risk of being laughed outta the room, I'm having trouble importing a DWG Release 12 file.

Upon trying to import the file, I'm getting an UNSUPPORTED FILE VERSION error. The ACAD file is located here : http://www.briansmall.com/FTP/LEASE.dwg

I am an original DataCAD guy and have, through the years, only upgraded to DCAD 8.53, because I just don't use it as much as you guys do.

I have been able to import files in the past with no problem, but this one is getting me. Can anyone offer me some advice, or offer to translate the ACAD file into something that I can import into my version of DataCAD?

I would be very grateful.

Brian Small
#13683 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:55 am
Hello Brian,

I don't think that it is R12 -- it won't even open in IntelliCAD 2K. I can open it in v11, so I'll bet it is newer than R2000: R2004 or R2005. You can request a real R12 file, or I could email you an R12 that I export from DataCAD 11?
#13686 by bsmall
Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:58 am
Neil, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

You can email me at bsmall (at) briansmall.com

Man, I can't thank you enough.

You think it's time I upgraded my version 8?!?!?!?!

Why rush in to anything?!

Thanks, again, for all your trouble.

bsmall
#13690 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:11 pm
Hello Brian,

You should have it waiting for you! :)

Yes, I would either suggest getting v11 now, or wait (a bit) until v12 comes out: there are many, very useful tools now: XRef's, bitmaps, batch plotting, layers in symbols, the Symbol Browser, 64bit database, much faster Display List -- the list is a long one. :P

V12 will bring "smart" entities, multi-line text, built-in symbol editor -- another long list.
#13691 by Greg Blandin
Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:13 pm
bsmall wrote:You think it's time I upgraded my version 8?!?!?!?!

Wait till 12, but I would say an upgrade would greatly benefit you.