Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#14070 by stephen11962
Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:36 am
I have on several occasions tried to import dxf files. Previously, there was no problem Now, the programs seems to work and then the screen goes gray or today, the import seemed successful, but all the objects were on one layer and zooming in to the max resulted in a dot. The original dxf file was 1500kb and the resulting aec file was 49kb.

I just went back and tried to open and older dxf file which I had previously opened successfully and cannot open that either.

Something is amiss. . .

Any help/suggestions out here?

Thanks

Stephen
#14072 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:47 am
Try un-checking (or checking) the translate color box, and move to origin box in the dxf/dwg tab in the program prefs. and re-import.
#14074 by stephen11962
Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:54 pm
I just tried that and get the same results. If I do a page up to the largest defined scale I see a spot and if I Identify from various angles it I get a line at o" length or an arc of 0" radius.

This help in the diagnosis?
#14076 by MtnArch
Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:35 pm
More than likely there's an entity from Acad (a stray part from an exploded symbol, a point, etc.) that is the offending "nasty". If you select this and delete it, does it affect anything?
#14079 by stephen11962
Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:53 pm
No, that doesn't work either.

All of the entries are (I think) lines and arcs of no measurable length or no measurable radius. Doing an 'extents' brings up "invalid zoom windoe defined" even though there are hundreds of entities.

Can I assume that the DXF file is bad?

Thanks

Stephen
#14085 by MtnArch
Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:21 pm
Is this a DXF file from a surveyor (or civil engineer) by any chance? If it is, the problem lies in Acad's handling of contours and the entity that it makes it. If this is it, they will need to explode the entities FIRST before DXF'g it.

Don't know if this helps ....
#14092 by stephen11962
Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:09 pm
The files are H Window details of jambs, mullions, etc. Don't think there are any contour lines or such.

Oh, well. . .
#14109 by Dick Eades
Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:59 pm
Try changing the import units. Maybe they set it up with a unit of 1/32" instead of a foot (?).