Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#14502 by Allan Kent
Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:32 am
Dear All,
I am preparing drawings using Datacad for a company which uses autocad.
The following pen colors translate direct to their system without a problem-Red, white, green, blue.
The remaining autocad colours that they use regularly are yellow, cyan, magenta, 8 and 9 (the last two being light greys) which do not convert correctly.
Can someone help me with the conversion selection in the DXF/DWG color map please.
Allan Kent
#14504 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:35 am
It's been a while since I've set it up, but I think this is how to do it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Go up to Tools, DXF/DWG Color Map, Make sure Datacad to DXF/DWG is selected at the bottom of the dialog box. Select the Datacad color on the left side, then pick the color you want it to translate to in your DXF/DWG export on the right. Click o.k. once you have assigned all the colors you need. It will probably prompt you if you want to make this the default or not.

Then when you get to the export dialog box, check the option for Translate colors using color table file -> DEFAULT.TBL, set any other options you want and export your file. That should be it.
#14506 by Allan Kent
Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:52 am
Josh.

The Color map file uses R.G.B. color mixes and these numbers do not relate to dwg line color references.
i.e . What R.G & B mixes will equate to DWG yellow, cyan, magenta, 8 & 9 ?

Allan
#14507 by Tony Blasio
Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:31 am
Is there a list somewhere that list out all of AutoCAD to DataCAD Color Numbers? I have been looking thru the A/E/C CADD Standard and in the back there is an AutoCAD-Microstation Color Comparison Chart. I would find a DataCAD to AutoCAD Color Comparison Chart useful.

Any links available?? :?:
#14510 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:48 pm
Allan, your correct, the dialog box only shows the RGB value, but the the colors location in the DXF/DWG palette corresponds to the Autocad pen table colors the same as ours I believe. I end up mapping our 15 colors to the first 15 colors in the DWF/DWG side. Your best bet is to create an actual Autocad pen table for your colors once you've mapped your translation file. You can change the colors in Autocad to match, to keep it visually the same. Keeping it simple to map to the first 10-15 colors, makes it quick. You can get a demo of the Autocad to do this. Once you have created the CTB file (at least that's the last version I created), just send it along with your files. They will just have to get used to the colors being in a different order. I haven't done this since Autocad 2002, so things I'm sure are done differently by now knowing Autodesk's nature. Hope this helps. I see if I can dig up the CTB file I created and post it later.
#14511 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:01 pm
Hello Allan:

If you don't mind working directly with AutoCAD colors, then you can load the DXF/DWG RGB palette.

From the Tools pull-down menu select Color Palettes.
From the drop-down list select DXFDWG and click OK.

You've now set your DataCAD drawing color palette to match the default AutoCAD color palette. This way you won't have to map your colors for export or import.

Since the color palette is embedded in DataCAD 11 drawings, you can load the DXF/DWG color palette into any drawing that needs to round-trip with AutoCAD.

FWIW,

MFM
#14512 by Allan Kent
Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Dear Josh & Mark,

Thank you both very much for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Allan