Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#16634 by cblair
Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:29 pm
I'm going to continue looking. Maybe there is a conversion program at CheapTricks.

I wish to send three CHR fonts to the engineer on a prticular job. The drawing data is fine, I just need to supply three fonts: ARCSTEN, HLV_BP, and HLV_MP.

The Datacad manual talks about SHX files as line-type files used in export conversion.

Any comments?
#16640 by joshhuggins
Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:04 pm
Usually when you export to a DWG it will create a sgw file that should contain the font / line type definitions. At least I think that's what the shx file contains. I don't do much exporting anymore.
#16645 by cblair
Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:51 am
Maybe I mean conversion of CHR to SHP.

Thanks Josh. I'll check again on the SAVE AS DWG and see if it works...but somehow I don't think it did when I first converted it. I think the add-on/non standard CHR fonts is at issue.
#16667 by MtnArch
Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:41 pm
If you'll e-mail me the CHR fonts I'll convert them to SHP/SHX for you. The problem is when there are curves involved (in the font) that don't tranlsate correctly (usually bad from SHX to CHR, but ...).

We **hopefully** won't have this problem when V12 comes out and supports SHX fonts!

(E-mail the fonts to me at athendry@netzero.net)
#18452 by MtnArch
Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:10 am
I thought that at one point I had a CHR to SHX (or SHP) utility but haven't been able to find it. I've checked in my Precision Fonts stuff and DCPlus but it's not there. There is a DAT file that installed with Plus with a file name of CHR2SHX.DAT but no utility to utilize it.

Does anyone else remember this utility or know where it might reside?
#19338 by Mark F. Madura
Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:00 pm
CHR / SHX Font Tools

CHR2SHP
This command-line utility for decompiling DataCAD CHR fonts to SHP format was originally distributed by Tim Hamlett of ArcDraft America around 1994.

SHP2CHR
This command-line utility for compiling SHP files to DataCAD CHR fonts is included with DataCAD in the \CHR or \Fonts folder.

SHP2SHX
This command-line utility for compiling SHP files to AutoCAD SHX fonts was originally distributed by Tim Hamlett of ArcDraft America around 1994.

SHX2SHP
This command-line utility for decompiling AutoCAD SHX fonts to SHP format is a public domain product of Schreiber Instruments Inc. Version 4.0 was published in 1995.

FWIW,

MFM
#24163 by oshapir
Thu May 17, 2007 8:18 am
Can anyone send me the CHR2SHP.exe program by mail? I need to convert few CHR fonts to SHP / SHX.

oshapir@inter.net.il

Thanks!
O.Shapir - Architect
#24166 by Jon C. Hubart
Thu May 17, 2007 8:47 am
oshapir wrote:Can anyone send me the CHR2SHP.exe program by mail? I need to convert few CHR fonts to SHP / SHX.

oshapir@inter.net.il

Thanks!
O.Shapir - Architect

If I'm not mistaken you could download the trial version of DC12 and it will convert ALL of your fonts to SHX versions for you. DC12 will be using SHX as it's native fonts instead of CHR.
#24186 by MtnArch
Thu May 17, 2007 12:40 pm
Jon's not mistaken - V12 Test Drive does this the first time that you fire up the program. The only trick is that it **may** load them into the main DC12 directory instead of the Fonts directory.
#24671 by oshapir
Sun May 27, 2007 6:46 am
Jon C. Hubart wrote:
oshapir wrote:Can anyone send me the CHR2SHP.exe program by mail? I need to convert few CHR fonts to SHP / SHX.

oshapir@inter.net.il

Thanks!
O.Shapir - Architect

If I'm not mistaken you could download the trial version of DC12 and it will convert ALL of your fonts to SHX versions for you. DC12 will be using SHX as it's native fonts instead of CHR.

Works! I copied all my CHR files to the fonts directory before the first run of Dcad12demo, and now I have all my fonts converted to SHX!

Thanks,
Oren.
#57637 by MtnArch
Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:39 pm
I know that this is an old thread, but does anyone know what ever happened to Tim Hamlett?

His fonts were AWESOME!