Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#17205 by Philip Hart
Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:10 am
We have received a survey file created in AutoCAD latest version that I am unable to open (DataCAD begins the translation process but stops before any % info displays). We have tried the translation on versions of the file written down to 2004 and 2000 formats with no luck.

I have asked for an R14 version of the file as a possible solution, but I'm curious about what is going on with the original dwg file.

The 2000 file was sent as a zip file containing a bunch of xml files that apparently link map data to the dwg file. I suspect that DataCAD isn't handling the external reference (but why would they be there in a 2000 file?). I'm curious about the xml files and what they might mean for the future of DataCAD/AutoCAD translation - survey files seem to always be in the forefront of compatibility issues.

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
#18047 by cblair
Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:00 pm
Do you know they did NOT use an overlay package: Eaglepoint is one software package my local surveyor uses. It sits atop ACAD.... These often have the proprietary entities that may not translate well.
#18070 by MtnArch
Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:36 am
Phil -

I'd be willing to see if I can get it translated from the original file, though I won't promise anything. If you're game, e-mail me the file(s) and I'll give it a shot.
#18100 by Philip Hart
Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:30 am
Yes, the original file was created with some sort of surveyor's overlay software and the file did contain proprietary information that AutoCAD couldn't handle. The solution was to get them to write the file down to a "dumber" format that DataCAD could handle.

Alan - thanks for the offer but I have deleted the original file.