Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#26865 by Dermot
Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:31 pm
Hi!
Can you guys tell me the level of compatability that Datacad has with AutoCAD, or AutoCAD Architecture specifically.
I am looking at doing some work for someone who runs Data cad in their office & need to know if I will be able to work with them directly, i.e. swap files at will between the two programs. Seamless transition would be real good.
#26876 by artmanvt2000
Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:57 am
Datacad can open most Autocad files, with some limitations with proxy objects and other objects from some Autocad Add-ons. Datacad can export drawings to Autocad format very well. But there are a couple of issues.

1) Datacad does not use Paper Space - Paper space layouts are lost when imported to Datacad.
2) Datacad has it's own version of Paper Space called Multisheet layout - thes does not import into Autocad.
3) Sorting through line types, text styles and hatch patterns can be a real pain when importing drawing into Datacad or Autocad. (This issue can happen when going from Autocad to Autocad when the two programs don't have the same support files i.e. hatch patterns, fonts & line types)

My suggestion is if you are going to have someone from outside your office do some of your drafting is give them certain sheets to do and let them complete those sheets. They can then send you pdf files, which will print great and nothing is lost in translation. Convert the drawings from Datacad after the project is completed.

I know this is a lot of information, but I hope it helps.