Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#31626 by lmlowery
Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:15 pm
GRRRR!!! Why can't everybody just use Datacad???? I am trying to export a datacad file to a .dwg (R-2000) file. I have DCAD v.11.08.01, OS is Windows XP. When I click on export, Datacad shuts down and does not export the file. When I start Datacad again and open the file it does not have the "improperly closed, opening the last saved version" (something like that)

Any thoughts? I need to get this drawing out so I can get paid for it!!!!!
#31627 by joshhuggins
Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:18 pm
Maybe try using the File, Purge command to save a copy of the file, then export that? Sounds like you have a bad entity or something.
#31629 by lmlowery
Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:30 pm
Unless I did something wrong, that did not work either. Down at the bottom where it shows the export progress it gets to Block Section 100%, then goes to entity, gets to 12% and that is when it crashes. It did this with the original file and the new purged file.
#31632 by lmlowery
Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:58 pm
Layer names are all OK. I have exported two other plans today that worked just fine. The only difference is that this particular file was sent to them previously, so it has been exported out of DCAD, imported back in, and now I am exporting it again. Could that have something to do with it? However, that is a frequent scenario around here and this is the first time this problem has ever occurred.
#31633 by Michael Olney
Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:23 pm
Maybe you could try sending the file to DataCAD's tech support and see if they can find the problem and fix it.
#31638 by lmlowery
Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:23 pm
I used file:purge and started with selecting only the first layer, and exported it. I kept doing that, each time turning on another layer and exporting until it crashed. Then I deleted the "bad" layer, and pasted everything else into a new drawing. Now the export works just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this?
#31645 by joshhuggins
Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:47 pm
I would guess something "dirty" came back from your clients dwg files. Can you verify if the bad layer had some work specifically done by your clients? This has happened on more than one occasion.
#32020 by ROBERT PENN
Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:48 am
Hi all,

I have had a similar sort of problem today with one file.

I have tried purging the file to no avail.

I then tried exporting each individual layer to dwg separately and came a cropper with two layers. On further investigation I have managed to narrow the problem down to having a dragged and copied paratext entity on each of the layers.

That is, I have written a bit of paratext on the layer and then copied the text to a different location on that layer. This occured on two different layers.

What I have found is that if I deleted one of the pieces of paratext then that layer would export to dwg. This is the case with both the individual layers, but interestingly on the second layer I had to try it once and it wouldn't export, however if I deleted the alternative paratext leaving the paratext which was deleted on the first try it did work!!?? Make sense??

So I suspect it has something to do with copying of paratext.

I am going to send TechSupport the file for them to investigate.