Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#34859 by H.M. ROSS
Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:36 am
I am new at this exporting to DWG but need to comply with a client's request ASAP.
1. Upon exporting, the file-open icon for the newly created DWG file is a Microsoft Word icon. Is that normal if I don't have AutoCAD? If I had AutoCAD on the PC would it automatically show as an AutoCAD icon?
2. I recently upgraded from Ver. 8.5 to Ver. 12 and I have always used the Hlv_tpx font for use of the extended characters. Will this font translate for my client or should I change font in the DataCAD file when creating a DWG file.
3. Please direct me to anything and anyone who can give first aid.
#34861 by Greg Blandin
Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:58 am
1. Do you have a .dwg viewer on your computer? eDrawings? AutoCAD TrueView (this one is free from AutoCAD thought a hefty download)?

If you do, you can associate the .dwg files to those viewers. At this time the file might be associated with Microsoft Word which is why it comes up with that icon. The icon really is no big deal as long as the extension is .dwg or .dxf. All in all not a concern.

2. I believe that the font will be exported into a .shx file that AutoCAD can then load to keep the same font.

3. I suggest you do some text exports and send them to your subs/clients/whoever you send files to and let them see what comes across. You can then adjust your methods from there.

Hope this helps!

Greg