Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#37527 by JD
Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:10 pm
I have use the dwg import feature many times and not had a problem until I try to open some dwg files from the GP site.

here is the page: http://www.gp.com/build/pageviewer.aspx?repository=bp&elementid=3874&pid=6333&lastpid=1064

Usually I have a drawing opened and just import the dwg into the drawing and it shows up as its own layer/layers.....no prob

When I save the files from the GP site it gives me an error message:::error number out of range.

Can anyone help me with this. why won't it import it?

Version 11
John Deren
#37535 by Mark Toce
Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:09 am
JD wrote:I have use the dwg import feature many times and not had a problem until I try to open some dwg files from the GP site.

here is the page: http://www.gp.com/build/pageviewer.aspx?repository=bp&elementid=3874&pid=6333&lastpid=1064

Usually I have a drawing opened and just import the dwg into the drawing and it shows up as its own layer/layers.....no prob

When I save the files from the GP site it gives me an error message:::error number out of range.

Can anyone help me with this. why won't it import it?

Version 11
John Deren

The message "error number out of range" means that the DWG file is saved in a release format that is newer than the one supported by DataCAD's translator. DataCAD 11 only supported up to R2004 format files. The DWG you're trying to import is probably in R2007 or newer format. You'll need to obtain a copy of the file in R2004 or older format to import it into DataCAD 11.
#37538 by joshhuggins
Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:30 am
Mark Toce wrote:You'll need to obtain a copy of the file in R2004 or older format to import it into DataCAD 11.
Or upgrade to Datacad 12 :wink:
#37566 by Paul Nida
Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:34 pm
You might also chec the Autodesk website and see if you can still download their DWG TrueConvert program. This will convert just about any version of ACAD to any other version.
#37567 by joshhuggins
Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:56 pm
Ah good catch Paul. Me and my smart mouth didn't think of that. :oops: You can download for free DWG TrueView 2008 which combined the viewer and the converter here.
#37692 by JD
Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:39 pm
Followed the link and snagged the dwg viewer 2009 thingie. The converter worked.

Funny how I haven't run across that before. I thought it might be something in the datacad program itself like a preference something because I had to install it on a new computer....house got hit by ligtning and it fried everything....computer, phones, alarm system, cable boxes...you name it, the bolt got it all. I can still rember the eeire glow of the stray voltage in the lights even after the power went out. Even had to rip the alarm siren down cause it wouldn't shut off. (damn battery backups)

Anyways thank you all very much. I have to say that between the datacad people and the tecno-weenies (and i mean that in the nicest way) on this site there would be NO way I could have reinstalled all that stuff and had the program up and running again within the week. I searched out so many questions I had to get the program back to the way I liked it using this site I can't even tell you. It actually took me longer to get my phones back on, the alarm fixed and cable back up and running than it did to buy a new puter and reinstall all the junk for the buisness and I payed someone to do the other stuff.

Awesome site, great people.

John Deren