Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#39987 by REX PEET
Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:09 pm
I have received a dwg detail from a supplier, only about 80kb. When I check the move to origin option, the import procedure hangs and this message appears: "ENTITY section 11%complete".

Without move to origin checked everything works fine.
#40018 by Nick Pyner
Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:58 pm
REX PEET wrote:I have received a dwg detail from a supplier, only about 80kb. When I check the move to origin option, the import procedure hangs and this message appears: "ENTITY section 11%complete".

It's pretty hard to see an explanation for that, hence the deafening silence, I guess. Move to abs zero was one of the best little features we got in V10 or 9. If you are having a problem with it, I suspect it may be the source rather than Datacad. It works for stuff between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars, which seems to be a popular area for AutoCad workers. If your DWG came from another Galaxy, it may be that DataCad has a problem counting that far. I would also tread carefully as the import may not be as kosher as it appears.
#40039 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:21 am
REX PEET wrote:I have received a dwg detail from a supplier, only about 80kb. When I check the move to origin option, the import procedure hangs and this message appears: "ENTITY section 11%complete".

Hi Rex,

Despite enjoying Nick's nice sense of humour, I'd ask if you have noted it really hangs up, or would it be just still... 'thinking' ?

In some cases of importing DWG drawings it took so much time to handle incomming data, what would worth a try to wait until it actually concludes the job.

I'm trying this approach since there is no reasonable cause of it being hung-up by using the "Move to Origin" option. It might be only a matter of zillions of calculus like well said by Nick Pyner.

Note: If you have no time to test it this way I'd like to receive a copy of this drawing, since this kind of issue is not actually so frequent, and I'd like to not be surprised with some of my customers future situations.

Thanks,
Miguel
#40098 by REX PEET
Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:48 am
I agree Nick that the move to zero is a great feature and I have used it many times in the past. It is just with this particular file, things go pear shaped. Strangely though, with "zero" off - the file does actually import close to zero.

Miguel, sadly Datacad is not thinking. It stops but does not go home. The file is only 80kb, with 7 layers and 777 entities.

I have sent you a pm to get your email address - as soon as I get this I will send the dwg file to you
#40140 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:39 am
I have noticed this too. I typically try my imports with it turned on. If it hangs, I crash out Datacad, clean out the temp folder, and re import with it turned off. Seems about 50/50 for me. I will try to watch it more closely and report back the file next time it happens.
#40151 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:40 pm
REX PEET wrote:...I have sent you a pm to get your email address - as soon as I get this I will send the dwg file to you

Thank you, Rex.

I've received the drawing, and tested it in DataCAD 10, 11 and 12, and to all versions it doesn't show a result, when set ON for "Move to Origin", despite being different each one's performance. If this setting is OFF all is imported perfectly.

I'll send it to Mark Toce for searching some unique information that could help us to understand a bit more this apparently strange behavior.

I'll report here, as long as some news were produced over the issue.

Thanks,
Miguel
#51003 by REX PEET
Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 pm
Seems this problem has occurred again with some dwg files created by Archicad. Datacad cannot import them with the move to origin ticked. You do get some degree of success with this option unchecked, but after closing the file and then re-opening it, there is always a freeze of Datacad.

Does anyone know if Archicad creates some nasty entities which translate badly, or is there some special way that Archicad can produce a readable dwg file?

All help would be valuable.