Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#40732 by Gazer
Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:43 pm
I have a Autocad drawing given to me by a client. When I open the drawing in TrueView there is a row of TABs along the bottom of the screen. The first one is labeled "MODEL". I think this stands for Model Space. There are many other tabs that bring up different drawing sheets. My understanding is that these are in paper space.

When I bring the drawing into DataCad 12 I see something similar to what is shown under the MODEL tab, but not everything. All the interior partitions are missing from the floor plans for instance. The things shown on the other tabs don't seem to show up at all.

Is it possible to access all the data in this file. I had assumed I might have to re-layout the sheets, but that the drawings would be there to work with.Here are some questions.

Do drawings exist in both Model Space and Paper Space at the same time?
Or can they only exist in one or the other?
Can I only access things drawn in Model space?
Can things be moved from paper space to model space?

The real question is what do I do? They let the guy go who created the file in Autocad. They assumed they could give me the file and I could use it as the basis for my work. Noone else there knows Autocad, so I have know one to work with on the other end of this thing.

Any and all comments and advice will be greatly appreciated!
#40735 by Tony Blasio
Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:26 am
PaperSpace doesn't come through in DataCAD. The closest way to re-create the paperspace is by using Multi-Scale Plotting in DataCAD. But that is probably more than you really need.

I am betting that there are layers that are turned off in the "model" view. Try turning on some off layers to get the model view back.
#40736 by Steve Baldwin
Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:52 am
Hi.

Yes, you are correct about the tabs. Model space is where you typically do your work ... Paperspace is where you typically lay out your sheets ... x-reffed title block, items from model space at different scales, etc. ...Or you can also use just one or the other. You can also draw on top of model info while in paperspace.

Even in AutoCad, I have received drawings from consultants in which everything didn't seem to be in model space or even the file, even though it apparently was, and wasn't an x-ref ... but would print fine. For what it's worth ... even if you're using AutoCad, there are a lot of translation problems when dealing with consultants also using AutoCad.

They let the guy go, but do they still have the AutoCad on one of the machines? If so, going into the file with it might give you a clue as to what is happening.
#40746 by Gazer
Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:00 pm
I should have stated that I have all the layers turned on. I thought maybe the missing items were black so I tried changing the color of everything to a visible color. Still most of the drawing is missing. Do things drawn in paper space not translate when imported to DataCad? There way more information missing than is showing up.

Thanks!
#40747 by Tony Blasio
Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:16 pm
Paper space is just a way to view/plot the drawing. I would think if all layers are on and you still can't see everything that there may have been an XREF. The XREF would need to be converted to DataCAD too.
#40748 by Gazer
Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:33 pm
I have one dwg file. When I look at it in Trueview everything is there. When I open it in DataCad 12 most of it is gone. Would a xrefed drawing be contained with in the single dwg file that I am viewing?
#40749 by Gazer
Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:57 pm
I have learned that the dwg drawing was created using Architectural Desktop. Once created in this is there no way to work with it in DataCad?
#40759 by Gazer
Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:35 pm
Success! AutoCad 2009 has a command to save each page layout into its own dwg file. Each page is saved in model space. DataCad12 opened these with out a hitch and so far everything appears to be showing up.