Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#45025 by slbva
Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:35 pm
I am using Datacad 12 with the latest upgrade. When I export my file (layers on) to dwg everything appears to work fine, however when I call it up in my viewer program to check before sending to my consultant all of the text sizes have been enlarged. I know that this happened with earlier versions, but I have exported files to dwg before in version 12 and not had this problem so I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what! I've double checked preferences etc. and can't see anything that doesn't look right. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate hearing them.
#45032 by Nick Pyner
Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:54 pm
I'm guessing a bit, but have you changed your font lately?
#45033 by slbva
Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:48 pm
Nope. It's the same font I've used for years.
That does appear to be the root of the problem though. The text font displaying in the dwg file is not the font I used in Datacad. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere that I'm missing? Is there a path that I have to set that points the way the correct font in the dwg file?
#45034 by Nick Pyner
Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:54 pm
Yes, there is, but it is part of the import procedure, not the export and, if you had no problem before, I don't think it explains why you do now.
I'm afraid I don't know much about this, but sticking to plain vanilla fonts seems to keep you out of trouble.
#45036 by slbva
Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:24 am
Thanks for trying anyway. I'll go change the fonts in the original and see what happens.
#45043 by MtnArch
Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:57 pm
My guess is that the SHX isn't being read by the viewer program. In the viewer program, can you specify where the font files reside or does it have it's own font directory? Make sure that you are using the **same** SHX file both in Dcad and in the viewer/Acad program.
#45050 by artmanvt2000
Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:21 pm
It has been my experience that, that text issue happens. Autocad and Datacad text settings work differently and that is just the way it is. I also send the engineers/consultants a pdf file for viewing and printing and a dwg file just for there backgrounds. They don't need our text for there work. Plus sending pdf's is better. You don't need someone out there "altering" your work.
#45055 by NCordero
Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:42 pm
i havent noticed the text enlarge when i export to dwg, but the aspect ratio of the text does change, because dwg uses a measurement that is opposite to datacad when it comes to changing the aspect ratio. Now i just try to use a standard font, that way the shift is minimal when i do export a drawing. I know that sending sending the team pdf's is alot easier, but on our projects we need to share drawings for coordiantion. We xref mech, and struct. backgrounds and the engineers xref our arch backgrounds into their drawings. if you are exporting for coordination, the text issue shouldnt really matter, most of the text layers will be turned off by the engineers either way, and if you are exporting for plotting, i think pdf's should be the way. Just my 2 cents.
#47664 by ORWoody
Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:58 am
The way that the fonts are defined in DataCAD is slightly different from the way that they are defined in Autocad. I am echoing what I think that I understood when it was explained awhile back so the term may be something else. Apparently the extents of the individual letters varies a bit between the programs.
I have a work around that I've been using for years. And, it seemed to follow the extents explanation. All I did was settle on an enlargement factor that was based on some minor testing. I used .93, although various fonts react somewhat differently so I settled on the scale that worked for my worst behaved font.
Before creating a dwg file, I save the DataCAD file. I then go to the enlarge menu and set everything to the .93 enlargement and activate "By Center." Using mask with layer search on, I choose "Text" and use an area selection method. All of my text is now slightly smaller so the space between the lines becomes relatively larger.
With that done, I create the dwg file and drop out of the DCAD file without saving.
The text in the dwg file appears almost exactly the same as it did in the original aec file with some loss in alignment for left or right justification. Even with that, it still appears much better that way than it did all crowded together otherwise.
One caution is that there is no masking available for MText or PText so all bets are off for an easy solution if one uses those for the most part.
Good luck,
Woody
#61199 by Roger D
Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:00 am
Any way to code into a command alias to Export/Dwg/Layers on?
When I use Function 114#, it goes to export/dxf.
Code: Select all[Exp]
comment=set up for EXPort for backgrounds
alias=1063#^1065#^1080#^1084#^1082#^114#^

I have updated my Datacad.mnu file so I can do it from the keyboard
Code: Select allOn Layers|CTRL+SHIFT+A|

but I want to have the alias turn off the smart wall fills, hatches, and then go to the menu all in one step.

Is there a way to enter "CTRL+SHIFT+A" into an alias?
#61201 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 am
Roger D wrote:Any way to code into a command alias to Export/Dwg/Layers on?
When I use Function 114#, it goes to export/dxf.

I can certainly add one for ya!

Dave
#61203 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:43 am
Added the following new extended codes for the next build:

Code: Select all3017 : DWG Export - All Layers
3018 : DWG Export - On Layers

Dave
#61735 by Kent A. Wittwer
Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 am
Ya know I have been complaining about this enlarged text issue ever since I can remember and it STILL doesn't work correctly or the way we would expect it to work. Seems silly as hell that something as basic as text which is a HUGE part of our drawings can not work correctly between programs. It is even worse when it is a drawing that originates for AutoJUNK then comes to DataCAD and then back to AutoCRAP... the text is all whacked out. Change anything with a line of text and it magically moves up a tad?!?! Silly.

Have I ever told you how much I hate autostaph?!?! BUT when I use DataCAD and export to the junky program I end up with more junk that I am assuming is created or whatever in DataCAD... Once again, silly.

Here is to wishing there is some sort of fix for this mess. Text is a major part of the process and I shouldn't have to stick with some basic font to hopefully make it work... which in most cases still messes up.

Kent